Diff leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff leak

I have noticed a small splattering of oil from the rear diff output/driveshaft seal on the drivers side. If i grab the driveshaft cup i can wiggle it up and down a very slight amount.
    I was thinking i'll just change the seal fill it up and clean it. But my gut says the small amount of play will just cause it to leak. I'm told the rear diffs are bomb proof though.
    What are others views do seal or get it re-worked?

If you have significant play, there is an issue with the Item 25 bearing or Item 17 flange shaft or both. A seal will permit a bit of play to happen without leakage but if the play is too much, then the seal (Item 19) will just wear out (again). (NOTE: The diagram and PNs are for the C4 UrS4/S6)

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

A rear diff seal DIY procedure

Link to a rear diff seal DIY

http://12v.org/urs/FredMsAudiUrS4Rea...eftSealDIY.pdf
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

There is a a fraction of lateral movement ut if it were a front diff i would expect it to leak even with a new seal. I'm thinking might change the bearing too and insoect flange for a groove if any. Is it possible to do it in situ or is it a unit off job?

Comment

PS thanks for the write up. Seems easy enough at least you can see the bearing once striped down.

Comment

How easy is it,to change the bearings and what tools,would be needed?

Comment

Check the breather on top of the diff first the seals on these things are pretty good!
              Chef

Comment

I'll check the breather as it's a known problem. However the small amount of up/down play might suggest the bearing is a little worn. I think i'll look at seal and while i can see look at bearing i guess. Thanks for the help. Steven

Comment

Working...
                X