X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 S6 auto problem - wont always go into "park" help please

Afternoon all, i've just recently bought a 96 S6 2.2 auto

Great car, had it a couple of weeks and not been out in it that much

I have a problem with the auto box, it wont always go into "park" this seems intermittent at the moment.

As im sure you will know, when not it "park" you cant take the key out

Has anybody had this before? or can you point me in the direction of the possible fault?

I've had a quick search on the net but cant really find anything that can help me out

Thanks,

I would suggest checking your brake light switch. IIRC you need your foot on the brake pedal to be able to engage Park. I may be confusing this with later autos but it's worth a try.

Comment

Thanks i'll check this, sorry to sound like a thick t**t but where can i find the brake light switch?

you are right though, it does show you have to have your foot on the brake to engage park

Thanks again for the reply, i hope i can get it sorted soon, i cant wait to get out in it properley!

Comment

on the shift mechanism,there will be a solenoid which will lock up the gear position.
        it will be unlocking once you apply the brake pedal.i believe you will feel that solenoid working
        on the shift gate like ticking noise while you're applying the brake pedal.check that if the solenoid
        disengage the lock up everytime when you're applying the brake.i never experienced that issue once i had
        the autobox on my car for past 8 years.the brake light switch would be located under the driver footwell.
        another thing is when you're apply the brake you should have seen the brake light is on.if it's intermittently,
        that would be your culprit.
        one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Is the problem with the key, that you can't take the key out once you have selected park, or the problem is that you can't move the selector to park?

If the problem is only with taking the key out then i'd check the wire that goes from gearstick to the ignition lock.

Comment

Its a problem going into park, it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't

This is turn means the key is stuck

Comment

Working...
            X