Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwd LSD

Hi guys

I registered on here a while a go but this is my first post, as i'm a convert from over on classic Audi

I'm currently building an Audi coupe gt5s with a 1.8t engine conversion using a 20v B3 gearbox and parts bought from Acidburn - who incidentally mentioned this site in conversation.

I have a question, with the engine I'm building I'm going to need as much traction as possible, can anyone point out a good Limited slip diff?? I' e done some basic searches for the obvious makes(quaife) NAND they are loads of money, over a grand.

I just wounded if anyone on here had come up with a good alternative for reasonable money?

Thanks

Bry

the porsche does have lsd for the tranny ( on P/N)..... you will have those ? the porsche 924 and some other variants do have the audi trannys in the rear end;as a transaxel likely and engine in front...

Comment

bry - i'd try drive it first and see how you get on, unless your going mega hp I think you will be fine for a while. I've drove a few fwd 1.8t's in various cars and they are not too bad.

Comment

a mate of mine has an a reg 80 which had a 300hp 1.8t in it and wheeling wasn't much of an issue.

Comment

Hi,

My GT 5E with the original 100kw motor and 5 speed transaxle box was amazing off the line, but you get some serious wheel spin into 2nd and 3rd on the left wheel.

I`d recommend a Quaife, its worth the money. But first look if you can find one from a Porsce 924 etc.

Post some pics of your build, I`m busy with a AAN quattro conversion to my GT 5E

Comment

porsche P/N 950.332.053.00 40% lsd
            porsche P/N 950.332.063.00 thorsen diff unit

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
              bry - i'd try drive it first and see how you get on, unless your going mega hp I think you will be fine for a while. I've drove a few fwd 1.8t's in various cars and they are not too bad.
              Originally posted by sam80quattro View Post
              a mate of mine has an a reg 80 which had a 300hp 1.8t in it and wheeling wasn't much of an issue.

Hi Bry, Its all down to gearing, wheels/tyres and front end weight. We had an A3 1.8T and even with the stock 150bhp it would spin up all the time in the wet and when we had it remapped it would spin up in the dry in 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

Yet I drove an 1.8T A4 with a remap and hybrid Turbo/Intercooler supposedly putting out close to 300BHP and other than in 1st it never had the same issue's.

All being said Bry I would get it up and running and on the road first and just see what its like, fitting the LSD is a retrofit when the cost of new front tyres gets excessive

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, I think like you say I'll test it for a few miles before committing.

I need to get her back on the road, as I keep over engineering everything while it's in pieces on the garage floor

Bry

Comment

Working...
                X