Need help sorting braking/halting problem with my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help sorting braking/halting problem with my car

Howdy, I have a CQ with a six speed (CGR) transaxle. For quite some time, when the car gets warmed up, it feels like the brakes are slightly applied. So, when the car drives, it feels like it is under excessive load. Also, when coming to a stop, I may not need to apply the brakes; and when taking off, I have to force the car even more than usual for it to move. Since I was not sure what the problem was, I changed the rear calipers with new ones; the rear differential; and just today, I rebuilt the brembo calipers on the front. I went for a little drive around the neighborhood after reinstalling the front calipers, but after awhile, I noticed the same problem as before. I wonder if it could be something related to the transaxle, or diverter valve, or the brakes... I lifted the front of each side separately after getting back home, and the front wheels (separately) are very difficult to turn. I did not check today, but I do not think the rear wheels get ceased up. Again, your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

is it doing any noise?

Comment

From a cold start, using your brakes as little as possible take it for a drive until you notice them binding. Stop the car and feel each wheel for heat. If all four of the wheels are warm I would suspect your hydraulic servo. If heat is only evident on one wheel, suspect a caliper (which you have tried).

Comment

no noise whatsoever...

by the way, I also changed the brake master cylinder not that long ago, for an unrelated problem. But, I suppose, it could be defective.

Comment

Seeing as you have replaced your master cylinder did you check your push rod clearance? You should have 2-3 mm of free travel at your brake pedal before any mechanical resistance is felt. To test this, with the engine off, waste off the hydraulic assistance by pressing the pedal 40 times. Then check for free travel at the pedal.

Comment

Got a similar issue with my CQ, doesn't roll to a stop, all 4 discs getting hot but when I jacked it up all wheels turn free....it's almost like the brakes are only being applied when the car is actually moving.
            Haven't had the time to do any more to investigate.
            If yours is just the front binding maybe by chance you have a problem with the flex hoses not releasing the pressure back to the master cylinder?

J.

Comment

ABS units can also fail, holding pressure to opposite diagonal wheels

when you do find what wheel is binding, undo each joint caliper end and see at what point there is no pressure build up, if that makes sense

Sean.
              1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
              1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
              BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

5cylman, I just tried to adjust it

but does not seem to make any difference in gap from front of pedal to resistance. When I started, it was right at about 2 cm. Then, I thought to shorten the lenght so that the gap would be 3 cm. No matter how I adjust, it stays right at about 2 cm in gap. Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Comment

has this fault only happened since you change master cylnder?
                  1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                  1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                  BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

I believe it started at some point after

I installed the new master cylinder. However, I don't know how soon thereafter the problem began.

Comment

I replaced the master cylinder today and

it seems to have solved the problem. Now when I step on the brake pedal, the brake light in the instrument panel comes on. I have to figure that out. Thanks a lot for the comments. I was thinking that it was something worse than a master cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                      X