Changing rear diff bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear diff bearings

I have an oil leak from the drivers side ( RHS ) diff flange. I've changed the seal and it still leaks, but I noticed, whilst changing the seal, that there is some movement in the output flange. So I'm thinking I need to change the bearing.

Anybody know if this can be done in situ, or does the diff have to be taken out to press the bearing on?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

I would have thought it will be loads easier with the diff on the bench. You will need to use a puller to get the old bearing off. The new one you heat up to 100deg and its supposed to just slide on. But then you also may need to adjust the preload which involves shimming the outer bearing races.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

What he said, bearing sits on the differential and needs pulled off, heated or pressed on. The outer race is pressed into the diff outer housing and will need pressed on/off. Preload is managed with shims between the outer race and housing so you will have to go trough the procedure of working out what shim thickness you need. A convoluted process of removing the ring gear and installing the outer races with X dimension shims, put it all together, work out your free play and add .3mm preload to the figure, then divide the figure by two and fit those size shims each side. It looks like a real PITA to do and means taking it apart, and back together again multiple times.

In my option the bearing have no say in the amount of play the output shafts have, infact the bearing themselves have zero free play as they are constantly preloaded. The output shaft runs inside the diff body and bolts directly to one of the internal idler gears. Any wear between the shaft and diff housing, or between the idler gear and diff housing will allow the flange some free play. I cant remember if there are shims behind each gear, would need to look at the workshop manual again to see, but that would be the only solution if its out of spec.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Interesting,thread.
        I need to change a bearing(?),in my rear diff(90q B2).Exhaust dropped,broke oil seal and caused a noisey diff.
        Changed the oil seal+oil,but noise is still there.Think it might be,a bearing??

Be interesting to see,where this thread goes?

Comment

Working...
        X