Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is a quattro box so notchy?

Any takers?
    Every torsen equipped quattro I've driven which is 3. A 3b s2, aby s2 and an rs4 2.7tt

All wouldn't be hurried through gears and feel notchy as hell.
    Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

When was the last time you heard of anybody breaking an 01E gearbox? That's because they are strong and strong = heavy. That's my theory anyway. The right oil will help, but like you I've never driven one that I'd call light.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

The B6 and later boxes are much, much smoother, but they are a lot lighter so that figures with Andy's theory.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

what box have i lads ? .. i have a 91 3b 5 ratio's. i think im right in saying i dont have the wide first gear or the flexible main shaft but what the code of the box. i saw no plate on it when i looked. sorry for jacking your thread, i will confirm that a slow gearchange is about the only way with what i have.
        1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Originally posted by stocious View Post
          what box have i lads ? .. i have a 91 3b 5 ratio's. i think im right in saying i dont have the wide first gear or the flexible main shaft but what the code of the box. i saw no plate on it when i looked. sorry for jacking your thread, i will confirm that a slow gearchange is about the only way with what i have.
          You have an 01A type (5 speed quattro torsen, fitted to b3 80/90q, b4 80q, 3b S2 some 100s etc (ARV is the s2 box IIRC)
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

They are a bit agricultural compared to a similar aged honda box, but unlike the toy gearboxes they are not made of glass.
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
              You have an 01A type (5 speed quattro torsen, fitted to b3 80/90q, b4 80q, 3b S2 some 100s etc (ARV is the s2 box IIRC)
              thanks andy
              1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Just written an essay on this in the reply field, then lost it all looking up detents to make sure I hadn't got the wrong end of the stick in my theory. Tw@!
                Anyway, long story short......
                3b 5speed = not notchy and not mega direct but much better than your average shopping car
                aby 6speed = disconcertingly notchy but v direct and accurate.
                wr 5speed = perfection.
                cable change = horrid

Just my two penneth. All dependant on abuse, repair, maintenance and what you're comparing with.
                Last edited by Jenks; 2 November 2012, 11:30.

Comment

I like the feel of the O1E box, very hard but at the same time it gives a good feedback on gear change and is very solid. I've driven an A5 manual box, doesn't give a similar feeling, in my opinion the way the old S2 box feels is best , nothing I've driven personally comes close.
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

what do you mean by notchy? its meant to be, there are 6 notches sometimes 7, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse

Comment

With a rose jointed linkage changing gear wiht my 01E feels like loading a high powered rifle
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Have you got any info or pictures of your linkage?
                        96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

The weight would account for the slow engagement but why does it feel so brutal. It goes in ok but it feels like i'm really shoving it into gears. Sometimes makes me worried I could be wearing out something.

Driving hard feels good but if you want to change gears a bit more gently it doesn't feel nice at all. Find myself shifting like a maniac everywhere to keep it smooth...ish.

Can nothing be done during a rebuild to smooth it out?
                          Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            With a rose jointed linkage changing gear wiht my 01E feels like loading a high powered rifle
                            That's exactly what I'm talking about. Hit the nail on the head!
                            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

I liken it to a Victorian Signalbox... It'll last as long as well...
                              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X