Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locking the center diff

Has any one on here tried it????

What would it be like to use every day???

Lance
    Boost is what makes the world go round.......!

like a four wheeled tractor... stiff like *******

Comment

i had it on a offroad car. If you want it in S2, i dont think its a good way.
      need some slip in the middle.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Real carbon parts for S2 and RS2. Check Carbondesign on facebook

Comment

buy B2 quattro
        5vtq gte

Comment

As Val said, a B2 (Type 85) has a center diff lock option.

Impossible to make tight slow turns as a huge amount of strain is put on tyres drive shafts etc.

Have used it with diff locked on the track (wet and dry) and makes for much easier extreme braking, but difficult to induce oversteer to compensate for understeer.

Not practical in general use, therefore dropped as an option by Audi...IMO.
          Regards
          Ryss
          www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by recall View Post
            Has any one on here tried it????

What would it be like to use every day???

Lance
            If you want to drift, go with torsen in center and plated front and rear.
            This is allways the right way, if you want to be serious.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            Real carbon parts for S2 and RS2. Check Carbondesign on facebook

Comment

i disagree, locked center and rear is so much easier for drifting than torsen in the middle, thats my opinion. as for everyday use, it is not that painful driving with a locked center, its tight corners and slow speeds thats the problem, but absolutely doable.

Comment

It's not ...try driving at 60mph with a locked diff! WAKE UP YOU ********!

Comment

have you? or are you speculting? go easy mate he's only offering an opinion.. just like you are.
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

in Finland in the winter, I have the center diff on my typ85 locked almost all the time, on slippery surface it is more stable than with open dif, no problems whatsoever, also at 100kmh (no, have not tried above that but see no reason why it would be a problem). But if I compare it to my S2 on snow (which does not happen ofter here) the S2 is (even with double the power than the typ85) easier to drive with its torsen.

on dry surface you don't want a locked center dif for normal driving, but it is doable (remember that the quattro was originally designed without center dif, only after the wife of one of the directors took a prototype into a parking garage (comment: it jumps) did they decide to put in a center dif)

Comment

As Henkjan suggests, locking the centre diffs on B2's was common practice, the works drivers/test pilots and many German motorists used to lock the centre diffs on B2's at speed on wet/standing water Autobahns... Ironically, I drove to Goodwood this morning with the Rallyreps centre diffs locked... It helps higher speed stability in standing water...

When we run at Sunseeker we also run with Centre only locked, as its Gravel and slippery, but consistent. Locking only the centre and rear diffs on ice/snow etc or mud/wet tarmac combos..

But locking the centre diff does give stability advantages on changeable surfaces.
                      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                      X