Flywheel options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel options

I've got a 3B flywheel with stock clutch on my ABY and it's one of the areas that I will have to sort out when I am ready to get a proper bottom end in there. I think I sold the gearbox spacer but I can get one if it's worth it.

I think that with some lightened and balanced internals, I'd be looking for a FW at around 7-8kg, as it's a multi use car at the moment. I'm not keen on alloy, althought writing that, I'm not really sure why, other than the weight, and would prefer a billet steel item over a re-worked cast OE one.

Clutch wise, SRE is top of the list but I'd consider southbend, if the pedal wasn't too bad and will take note of other options...

What are the options and weights (please correct me if I'm wrong, hence"?")?
    • 3B - 10.5kg?
    • 7A - 11kg?
    • Fidanza - 6kg?
    • Aelred did some steel ones a while back - 6-7kg?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Lightened 3B or 7A seems the easy option and I can't ever remember hearing of any problems
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Comment

Buy a custom one Andy it will cost you less than lightening and facing a old one
        Chef

Comment

I've driven a 3B with a lightened flywheel (fidenza i think), and honestly i couldn't see any down side to it at all. If my bottom end hadnt been balanced already i would change it.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
            Buy a custom one Andy it will cost you less than lightening and facing a old one
            ^^^ this ^^^

vvvv not this vvvv

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            Lightened 3B or 7A seems the easy option and I can't ever remember hearing of any problems
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
              I've driven a 3B with a lightened flywheel (fidenza i think), and honestly i couldn't see any down side to it at all. If my bottom end hadnt been balanced already i would change it.
              I think my dislike of the Aluminium ones is because they have a steel face and starter ring and are held together with bolts, so there's just more to go wrong...
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

a friend of mine can get a billet steel one to order you can choose weight i was gonna get one but was a 12 week lead and i was desperate to drive the car if you are interested in asking questions i can get the number for you so you can speak to them direct.

these flywheels are used on the saxon motorsport golf cup cars and i beleive the civic type r aswell have a look

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                  That depends who you speak to

Comment

I'm in no rush, it's basically that I'm now at the stage where the outstanding job on the car is a full engine rebuild and that includes getting a proper clutch on the car and having the whole lot lightened and balanced... just keeping up with what's available and how much
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I have done loads of flywheels and have one over that i was keeping for a friend,
                      who's car is now wrote off so doesn't need it how light do you want it ?
                      how does £100 sound ? that's refaced and machined to reduce as much weight as
                      possible if you like.

Comment

That sounds rather tempting for sure! Not got £100 kicking about just at the moment but if you can do the machining then I'll keep that in mind for sure.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

How light do you want it ?
                          They 7A's I have done are about 10kg, that's just with the back machined down
                          so it's like a 3B, much more can be removed if you want it really light.

Comment

I think I'm after something around 8kg for the use of the car. If it was a track car, I'd consider an Aluminium one but it's not...
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

My lightened 3B flywheel is somewhere near 8.5kg.

Comment

Working...
                              X