s2 rear diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s2 rear diff

I need to repair the rear diff in my S2. The one in it at the minute is code AYV My spare diff is AEC. Are these diff's the same and if anyone knows what are they out of.
    Thanks, Brian

rear diff codes

Anyone know where i can find a list of S2 rear diff codes. Brian

Comment

Some B3 and B4 S2 model designations with trans and diff info

Originally posted by chiefmechanic View Post
      Anyone know where i can find a list of S2 rear diff codes. Brian
      You need to find a good friend who knows Kate, the loverly parts girl.

The AYV is the 3B and ABY S2 coupe rear diff that goes with the ARV 5 spd and the CGR 6 speed. The AEC is the NG, NM and 7A rear diff that goes with the ASZ and AXM 5 spds (see the first listing below). Fortunately, the AEC and AYV are both 37/9 crown/pinion (4.11 to 1) rear diffs that are compatible with the gearing of the S2 transmissions.

The later B4 S2 sedans and avant used the AZE rear diff with the CGR 6 spd transmission (see second listing below).

Swapping rear diffs might require a different propeller shaft (not sure about that).

B3 CQ (8B) model designations including engines, transmissions and rear diffs:

The B4 (8C) model designations including engines, transmissions and rear diffs:
      (note the S2 sedan is just designated as an Audi 80 quattro (8C27L9) without any "S2" label where as the 8C57L9 is designated as the "Audi 80 avant quattro s2"):

Last edited by UrS4boy; 13 March 2013, 02:49.
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Updated my first post with some B3 and B4 S2 model listings.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

the thing i found different were the axle cup flanges. there are 108mm for the 3B/ABY/5cyl turbo, then there is the 100mm for the standard S2/CQ 7A N/A setup like we got in USA. and i read on ETKA that the 4cyl models over on your side of the pond had some 90mm ones as well.

i think it was HP based. more HP larger flange.

the prop shaft on all of the ones i have worked with are the same.

looking at ETKA, the only differences i saw for the ones i worked with are the rear flanges and the breather tube, oddly enough. the internals were all the same. and i never met the 4cyl/90mm flanged one either. we didnt get that here in USA. just the CQ 7A 170hp N/A car. and only about 1700 or so of them at that!

Comment

Rear diff

Thanks for all the information. Just what I was looking for. I will check for any external differences. Cheers, Brian

Comment

Working...
            X