prop fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop fitting

ok i feel really stupid but how the flip do you fit the prop and bearings into the back of the box the balls have fallen out a few time along with the dolly out the pram

Not quite sure what your issue is? Are the balls falling out the cv joint?

The prop just bolts onto the back of the box.

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Comment

i presume the bit on the back of the box should be attached to the prop!?

Comment

Yes the bit on the box should still be attached to the prop. Remove it and try to rebuild the joint.
          96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Good luck with the joint, make sure to use plenty of grease, my mechanic had a torrid time getting them all back in again
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

use a soft blow hammer to remove the outer CV race from the gearbox flange.
              Then you need to disassemble the balls from the cage and insert one by one in a circular pattern to reassemble the joint - IIRC someone posted some useful picture of how to do this on the forum recently

Here you go - shows an outer CV, but the same principal applies.
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ght=CV+rebuild

HTH
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hmm... your outer CV may have become very stuck in the gearbox output flange.

Best method I have come up with is to cut two small notches on the outside of the CV, 180 degrees apart, as far away from the gearbox as possible, that will allow you to use a stone chisel and a hammer, to remove the CV. Less likely to do any damage to the gearbox output shaft.
                Regards
                Ryss
                www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies after looking at the exploded diagram it became obvious that the outer race on the end of the box should be on the joint it was two years ago since I removed the prop and i`ve got a **** memory anyway lol

so prop is in! rear drive drive shafts stripped regreased ready for reassemble tomorrow

i have the bit between my teeth now it`s booked for paint next week full dip please sir

oh and How much will that cost

it only came in for a clutch replacement two years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    use a soft blow hammer to remove the outer CV race from the gearbox flange.
                    Then you need to disassemble the balls from the cage and insert one by one in a circular pattern to reassemble the joint - IIRC someone posted some useful picture of how to do this on the forum recently

Here you go - shows an outer CV, but the same principal applies.
                    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ght=CV+rebuild

HTH
                    Hi

Have a look at http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51266

It's for drive shaft CVs but the same principles apply.

Cheers

John
                    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
                    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Doh

Just realised...Alex's link was the same
                      2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
                      1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X