Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the DQT,CYT gearbox also have 1-2shift collar problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the DQT,CYT gearbox also have 1-2shift collar problems?

I have heard all of 01E's has 1-2 shift collar problems.I'm looking to get
    some 6 speed on my UrS6.yes,EDU from S4 B5 is best bang for the bucks but
    Tdi has a very nice tall 6th gear but i believe i rarely use it in my country.
    Another concerned is 01E gearboxes has been known to be 1-2 shift collar problems.
    it means if i got EDU box in one day i will need to pay another of $1K for the updated
    1-2 shift collar that's PITA .the does Tdi gearbox also have these problems?it's also has a neckdown shaft whicih is some extra benefits from theTdi(I never drag strippped though just occasionally some slightly spin the wheel from stationary)
    one of a few I5 from Asia.

all 01E are internally the same, when it comes to the mechanics of them. gear ratios differ, and first gear physical width of the surface across the gear itself. and of course the 4 options of the input shaft.

but like anything, it will fail when abused.

the main reason that the B5 S4 trans is the one that has the worst reputation, is due to the fact that it comes behind a twin turbo engine, and thus the owners think they are god-like and have the world at their mercy. they shift it HARD and that is what kills them. torque and trying to speed shift.

we just rebuilt two 01E trans's last Saturday at my house. CGR and a TDI one. the newest updated kit comes with a new 1-2 collar/hub, and all 6 newest carbon syncros, too. it is around $1000 for the kit, and it has all seals and o-rings as well.

but, all of the 01E have the same exact slider and hub assembly, from the factory. so the problem could be in any one of them. i would say that a TDI would be much less prone to having this issue, as well. due to the fact that they arent power-beasts and street raced on every chance they get.

but it isnt just the 1-2 collars. the TDI we rebuilt, was due to 3-4 collar actually. it was doing a very small "grind" going into 4th gear under a good load, so it was pulled from the donor car. i used it to drag race with, and i beat the crap out of it with 6500+ rpm drag launches, a number of low 10 second quarter mile passes (10.05 @ 138 best on this gearbox) and 650+ AWHP/575wtq. and i managed to finish off the 3-4 hub/slider in a drag race. it would not go back into those gears after that day even broke into 9 seconds on an all stock B5 S4 01E, that i again beat the crap out of and it is fine to this day. 9.90 @ 141.

as i have a few spares all disassembled, we went thru the parts from 4+ other gear boxes, and got the best 3-4 slider/hub set, and rebuilt that box with the new parts. and also refreshed the CGR box for the hell of it. we put all the best syncros we had, and most of those were composite over bare brass styled ones, as well.

Comment

The reason i'm looking to the Tdi box since i'm living half of the world away of the parts soursces.
      I'm looking to the strongest box since the shipping cost from another side of the world is PITA.
      My car has GT2871 with non stroker engine.in the future, i dont know if i would go something bigger than
      2871. Some reserved for the big power ain't bad idea.i have read the gear box ratio on Tdi and found
      From 3rd to 4th gear is some thing like i shift the gear from 3rd to 5th on standard
      01E box.i'm a bit worried about the driveability on my country road.if i run the stroker i wont be worried
      that much on the torque around 2000rpm.i would love the closer ratio on b5 s4 box but
      As you said noone drive the bi-turbo car at 45mph and shift the gear at 2000rpm.it is prone
      to see the edu gearbox being abused more than Tdi.
      one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

As already said, it is a myth that the TDI box is somehow stronger.

The only difference between all the boxes are gear ratio, and the respective first gear strengthening on the first gear/shaft (four options).

The only thing with the TDI box is that it is likely the owners did not brute the hell out of it, like it would be the case with a S4 box.
        Recently disassembled my RS4 box and it is exactly the same inside as was my UrS6 box, apart from the gear ratios. Surprisingly the 1-2 shift collar was fine, the problem was the 2nd gear syncro was completely gone and the 5th gear engagement as well.

The only thing that some of the later 01E have going for them is additional oil cooling, but I am not convinced that this is needed.
        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Working...
        X