Help!!! No Foward Motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! No Foward Motion

Well I started off replacing a cracked rear subframe. When i went to trailer my car i noticed, obviously, that the car wouldnt drive foward. When in gear just made a repeated fast clunking noise. Car did drive in reverse so I managed to get it on the trailer. Got the new subframe on and started to try and source the no front drive poblem. Noticed alot of play in the front left axle so figured I would pull that off. Did that last night. Tried, for a very short time, with the car on the hoist to engage foward and reverse.

Here is what happened

In forward same noise as before. The flange connection for the removed axle would spin with no other tires spinning.

In reverse the flange spun along with the two rear tires.

The front and rear diff appear to be fine as the tires spin through when one side is spun.

So, is it the other CV that is making the noise, the torsen, or the front diff? I know this is a stupid way to make a diagnosis but i will take any input anyone has.

Cheers,

Scott

defekt gearbox my 0,02 cent

Regards
    RIX

Comment

drain a little trans fluid and check it. i'm pretty certain there's gonna be lots of metal bits in it. from there, looks like tranny removal and rebuild. if you can do the R&R yourself, you'll save a pile of money. example; i rebuilt the trans in my corrado last winter. was quoted 2000 from my mechanic. i did the R&R myself and went to a local race shop with the 2 gearsets in hand. 600 later, i have all new syncros and reverse gear. without fixing reverse gear, which i did simply cuz i was there, it woulda been 500.

granted, tranny removal in a cq is gonna be "slightly" more difficult than in a corrado
      1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

Drained the tranny fluid, sorry should have added that. There is zero signs of wear. I might even send the oil into work with a buddy that works at a mine to have it anaylzed. That stumped me. I figured i wore the gears on either the torsen or the front diff.

On thing i noticed is that there was some axial play on the reciever cup flange for the axle, is this normal?

Comment

Nein:

Problem is due to how the Torsen differential works in the transmission - all four halfshafts have to be attached and working for the car to move under its own power.
          If you had the older style "locker" transmission, the car would move....

This is one of the reasons that the cars have a locking rear differential, and the newer cars apply brake automatically - without either, total loss of traction on one axle would leave you immobilized.

BTDT long ago - had a cv joint literally come apart - balls fell out of the housing and the rubber boot twisted - car would not move, just a whining, spinning noise...

Luckily I was able to remove the outer CV Boot, re assemble the joint and make it driveable again....
          Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
          1991 Coupe Quattro
          1991 Coupe Quattro
          1995 S6 Sedan
          1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Peter

Which axle if you dont mind me asking. Was the whinning noise kind of gear like sounding? I am pretty sure it was the blown CV, i mean the axle i removed had about 2 inches of play along the shaft, i know it is supposed to have play along the shaft put not 2 inches of it, besides it was loose in other directions as well.

The only thing the vexes me is the torsen acting different in reverse. I have read that other people have noted this to on ice and such.

Comment

Scott:

In my case it was the right front (sitting in the vehicle, right side)
              Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
              1991 Coupe Quattro
              1991 Coupe Quattro
              1995 S6 Sedan
              1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Working...
              X