More Drivetrain Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Drivetrain Questions

Had some time to tinker with the coupe last night to try and figure out if it was just a bad CV (i dont have the replacement axle yet) or something else.

I need some clarification on how this thing ties together as my exploded view is pure crap. If anyone as a good exploded view/cut away drawing of the drivetrain that would be great.

The left front axle is off the car are other axles are still attached.

Car in neutral.

Spin the front right tire the left front flange spins the opposite way. (To me this tells me that my spider gears on the front diff are OK yes/no?)

Spin the rear right tire/ left rear spins the opposite way (Rear spider gears ok).

Spin the right rear tire and hold the left rear back the drive shaft turns in turn turning the front left flange (less torque on the front left flange than the right side with the tire and axle on). (Rear pinion/ring gear ok). Now i get my buddy to hold the front left flange and the right tire spins (Front pinion ring gear ok).

Now here is where i need some learning.

Put the car in gear. Spin the rear right hold the rear left drive shaft turns turning the front left flange. (Hmmmm. now with the car in gear if I read my exploded view right the drive shaft spins the torsen, the torsen spins the output shaft on the gear box, now if the car is in gear shouldnt the output shaft be locked to the input shaft and i should now be turning the engine, hold that thought for a second.) I continue to spin the right rear and hold the left rear, i get my buddy to put tension on the spinning left front flange and the right tire begins to spin, (same result as first case just the now the torque on the left flange is higher than that of the torque it takes to get the right tire moving). Now continuing to spin the right rear and hold the left rear with tension on the left flange i get my buddy to put tension on the right tire as well bingo the car locks out and we a pushing against an the output shaft and the next step would be to turn over the engine.

Now my question is why do all 4 tires have to have tension on them in order to lockout the transmission against the engine? and when all four tires are not having force on them what is causing the system to spin (does the input shaft, slip against the output shaft?)

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

try to think of it like this -

all differentials (including the torsen centre diff) have 3 elements - one input and two outputs. if any one of these three elements is locked (or 0 rpm), rotation from one of the remaining elements is transferred to the last element.

i.e. torsen input locked by engine (0 rpm), rotation from rear output (1 rpm) is transferred to front output (-1 rpm).

hope this helps...

batty

Comment

been browsing the net for LSD's this afternoon and having a bit of a read.

could try looking at this and see if it helps your understanding.
      torsen diff white paper
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
      X