Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo M90 Gearbox to Audi 5 cyl turbo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo M90 Gearbox to Audi 5 cyl turbo???

Hi lads ive been led to believe a certain version of the Volvo M90 RWD gearbox mates directly to the Audi 5 cyl engine. I found this thread

http://www.racingforum.pl/index.php?...04&hl=bm%20vag

but the google translation from polish is horrendous on page 4 of the thread

http://www.racingforum.pl/index.php?...bm%20vag&st=60

there is this picture

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...1a71d80e5.html

I believe its an M90H Maybe someone polish can confirm from the thread or another knowledgeable member on volvo/audi comparisons and compatability.

Probably off a 740 with the vw 2.4t diesel from the 80s and early 90s? Cant open the links on this pos atm

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
      Probably off a 740 with the vw 2.4t diesel from the 80s and early 90s? Cant open the links on this pos atm
      I registered on that forum for some more confirmation but have had no reply thus far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Appears to be hanging off a audi I5 alright, it's the M90 from a car that had the 2.4 turbo diesel vw/audib I6 in it of that helps.

Comment

Thanks that does help ill know to look for diesel box and not petrol for any possible conversion options. I also found this thread and have asked the same question I asked here

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=94325

Comment

the diesel 2,4 in6 in volvo 240/740/940 DOES fit audi in5 AND v6 AND v8 petrol or diesel... i know that, i have this item at home, even 2 pcs....the it MAY have the same pattern as the m45/46/47 and may M90...( the missing link)... so then its some other options too.. audi inline 5 pot, audi diesel bellhousing...from volvo, then adapterplate for bmw getrag for none bellhøusing verson...5 serie bmw....

Comment

Also consider the LT/Crafter gearbox for rwd

Comment

crafter tranny

Originally posted by goodall View Post
                Also consider the LT/Crafter gearbox for rwd
                someone tryed this?? and whats the ratio, and will this fit audi inline 5 pots( old style)
                the new style crafter engine, does this have the same boltpattern, as the old inline 5

Comment

This is a crafter gearbox,

looks like a audi bolt pattern

and this is a crafter engine

looks like the audi block.

I however havent tried this yet and dont know the ratios, I want to get one and try it out in a kit car I'm building but havent been able get one cheap enough, commercial stuff is plenty ful but also costs plenty

Comment

i looked at crafter/LT gearbox and M90 ones,

i decided to use a ford MT75 when i put an I5 in my sierra years ago, better fit and ratios than the M90

just had a spacer plate fab`d to mate the 2 together and used an RS turbo clutch
                    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper_Avant View Post
                      i looked at crafter/LT gearbox and M90 ones,

i decided to use a ford MT75 when i put an I5 in my sierra years ago, better fit and ratios than the M90

just had a spacer plate fab`d to mate the 2 together and used an RS turbo clutch
                      Have you a build thread link for the Sierra

Comment

Originally posted by goodall View Post
                        This is a crafter gearbox,

looks like a audi bolt pattern

and this is a crafter engine

looks like the audi block.

I however havent tried this yet and dont know the ratios, I want to get one and try it out in a kit car I'm building but havent been able get one cheap enough, commercial stuff is plenty ful but also costs plenty
                        Great pics there Thanks :thumbup:

Comment

There is a volvo 740 2.4 TD with manual for sale. This should be D24Tic engine? I'll need to confirm if it's 4 or 5 speed first its parked up 5 years so should be cheap its in this Mercedes add

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-...-parts/5125130

Comment

A buddy of mine who is familiar with older RWD Volvos mentioned that the 4spd (usually with overdrive) were bombproof and fitted to the more powerful models but the 5spd boxes were not that strong. Also, first gear was quite a low ratio on all of them with a large gap to second gear which would not suit drag vehicles.

Comment

The 740 will have a M40 series gearbox so not as strong as the M90. M90 was in post 95 960s and 940s

Comment

Working...
                              X