No announcement yet.

01E gearbox noises.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to put a bottle of RVS in the box. Sometimes it can fix light whine.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
      I'm not sure, if I should attempt a gearbox build. Engines are simple in my head, but gearboxes are voodoo.
      Having rebuilt few gearboxes and just completed the build on my 1st engine = gearboxes are easy compared to engines

JHM video is the perfect material for start, you need to fabricate special tool to push the rear housing off, other than that it's doable with standard tools.

Comment

Top. Just having problems now with my rs2 box too. Anyone have a link to the rebuild video?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok so I finally pulled this box apart. It's not as difficult as I had dreamed it to be. You need to make a simple tool to pull a housing off, a hydraulic press and a set of 2 jaw pullers. Any how here are some pictures.

Cbn gearbox code.

Now I thought this would have a solid shaft and a wide first gear but no! It has a necked down flex input shaft with a narrow first. The first gear on the input shaft is 22mm wide and it's driven partner is only 18mm wide! The first gear which is cut on the input shaft is very badly wore. It's driven partner looks ok, not perfect but not too bad.

You can see from the picture above that the input shaft first gear is worn on one side as the driven gear is 4mm narrower. Good job I had got a new input shaft on the shelf. The new shaft I got has a wide first and a fat shaft.

Comment

The wide first gear on the shaft is 26mm wide. I need to get a wide driven first gear to go with it. I was concerned my steel central housing may not have room for the wide first but it does have the slight bulge so clearance shouldn't be a problem.

As all gear changes and syncros were fine I'm not changing anything that doesn't need changed. I swapped the third and 4th driver gear over onto the new shaft.

Now I moved on to try and find why the other gears were noisy. I found that the layshaft or driven shaft has a slightly rough bearing. It's the one that's pressed into steel center housing. Here is a pic of the seat it runs in.

Once removed it looks slightly blue so maybe it's got hot at some point. It doesn't look obviously bad on its races but just feels slightly wrong.

uploadfromtaptalk1429471328283.jpg

So that's about it at the moment. I need to find a part number for the wide first gear, that layshaft bearing, oil seal for input shaft and casing gasket.

Anyone any links to the parts I might need? Or even an online catalogue?

Cheers

Comment

Oh and a picture of my box of bits!

Comment

Useful website

http://12v.org/urs/charlie_smith/01E/ind2.html

It seems the wide first driven gear is 01e 311 257 f

The narrow first is 01e 311 257 d

It's a 01e 311 105 j input shaft I'm now using.

Comment

Anyone confirm these numbers please

paper gasket - 01E-301-235

paste - AMV-188-001-02

input shaft seal - 016-311-113-B

Think the bearing I need is 016311375Q

Can I just use silicone instead of the paste?
                  Last edited by diesel des; 1 May 2015, 21:14.

Comment

Impressive work. Well done. Making up the tools also.

I always thought

CGR = S2 = Can't Go Right

CGB - RS2 - Cant Go Bang

Those comments after the B4 Models, is the way I remembered those particular B4 codes.

Didn't think that CBN was an RS2 gearbox code. I'm assuming the box you have taken apart is the "RS2" box you bought about six months to a year ago ?

A box from a late model UrS6 might be worth checking out of r it's gearbox specs, or a box from say a C5 All Road ?

Comment

Cheers. The tools I made were just a few pieces of angle iron welded together with 3 holes drilled to match up. It's used to pull the rear cover off.

No the rs2 box is still in the car leaking oil and making a slight noise in third gear. My plan is to fix this v8 box and swap it in then look at the rs2 box.

Comment

More thinking out loud. So this gearbox was very noisy in first and it's easy to see why. But it was also noisy in the rest of the gears. The noise was engine speed related and happened under load.so how does that tie ip with a layshaft bearing being bad. Surely the layshaft is more road speed related. The input shaft is engine speed related so I will check through those bearings again.

Is my thinking sound?

Comment

Helical gears create a side loading so that noisy bearing could also be the thrust bearing for the lay shaft under load.
                          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Ok that makes sense to a degree. I'm will have another run through the other bearings just in case. Cheers

Comment

Audi want 300 quid for just the first gear. So I got this for just a little more.

It's a v6 tdi box with flex wide first. I will use the crown wheel and pinion from the V8 box along with 5th and 6th gear to build a good box with nice ratios.

He has a second tdi box the same and I'm tempted to get it too. I have my original urs4 box with nackered first gear I could use to rob donner gears etc from to build another strong box...

Comment

So the quattro tdi gearbox has damage to a bearing on the layshaft. It's the 23 single roller one. It runs on the shaft so it had damaged both the pinion shaft for the front diff and the hollow lay shaft.

That ment both mentioned shafts were scrap as was the bearing. Good job I stripped the box. The 5 and 6th gear shift collar also had a lot of wear.

So with 2 boxes full of bits I built a hybrid. I now have the slightly lower 1st and 2nd gear from the tdi on the tdi wide and flexible input shaft. The hollow layshaft and the front pinion shaft and rest of gears from the V8 gearbox. I used the best syncros and bearings from my selection of stuff.

As I used the V8 pinion shaft I kept the V8 front casing complete with diff and Crown wheel so they are matched as were originally. I ordered the input shaft and gaskets from audi and should get them soon so I can get the back housing back on.

Comment

Working...
                                X