No announcement yet.

Driveline Shunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest any type-89 Audi i have ever driven has suffered from drive train shunt, 4cyl, 5cyl, fwd or Quattro they all do it IMO.

I've replaced both engine and gearbox mounts, set the snub mount nice and snug, and the engine still flops around in there. I think it’s a feature.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

That's what I thought when I had my '80 sport, but (touch wood) my currently my S2 is fantastic especially as it has done over 140,000 miles and has 280 BHP. I think it is possible to have a "tight" drivetrain, but my advice would be don't buy a car thinking you can cure it, buy one that doesn't do it!!!

Cheers,

Steve.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Im hoiping to get rid of lot of shunt when i stick this replacement diff on.
        I guess with 215k miles shunt is normal. If i get hold of the propshaft i can turn it 1/8th of a turn with all wheels on the ground.
        There is no play at all in this other diff.

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
          If i get hold of the propshaft i can turn it 1/8th of a turn with all wheels on the ground.
          There is no play at all in this other diff.
          I see what you mean!

That should make a little difference!!

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
            I reckon you should adjust your snub mount first. Make sure the bracket is resting on the bush itself. This cured all of my driveline shunt at the time. Although I now have a minor clonk from the rear diff but I can't hear it myself....Doug told me he could hear it when he was in the back recently.
            I'll go and have a look... Any tips?
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
            X