Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift rod bush?

Hi folks,

I'm fairly sure I've seen something about this before, but can anyone tell me if there is an upgrade bush that joins the gearshift linkage rod to the shaft on the gearbox? (Five speed). I've got the best one of two rods fitted from the two boxes I now have but they're both a bit tired. Any advice appreciated! Want to do this at the same time as quickshift.

While I'm asking, my reversing lights are a bit intermittent (sometimes they come on, sometimes not). This hasn't changed since the box was swapped. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers folks!

__MDC__
    Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Any thoughts folks?!!

__MDC__
    Martin Cutting

Comment

Why not just get the short shift kit?

Billzcat1 who usually posts or lurks here sells crackerjack kit. Give him a shout, I'm sure he can help you.

Comment

Ah, not sure if I am explaining myself well here - I have a short shift kit waiting to go in!

I mean the end of the shaft which goes into the gearbox - after the shifter you have the longitudinal rod that joins it to the gearbox, but just before it goes into the box there is a joint with a bush through it (it's not a UJ is it? I left the other box on the floor of my friendly local garage!) - can a different bush be had for that, or do I have to buy a new rod and bush as a complete part?

__MDC__
        Martin Cutting

Comment

I assume this is what you are talking about, you have to buy the rod complete, i got mine from Martyn in vagparts.

The universal joint is an interesting lump, when i pull the old one out i will take it apart and see if anything custom can be done to firm it up a little.

Mark.

Originally posted by Keeper of The Kitten
          Ah, not sure if I am explaining myself well here - I have a short shift kit waiting to go in!

I mean the end of the shaft which goes into the gearbox - after the shifter you have the longitudinal rod that joins it to the gearbox, but just before it goes into the box there is a joint with a bush through it (it's not a UJ is it? I left the other box on the floor of my friendly local garage!) - can a different bush be had for that, or do I have to buy a new rod and bush as a complete part?

__MDC__
          Attached Files
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

i you have a friend that´s a turner by trade,then he would beable to make a new bush from nylon i 30-60 min,that will hold for ever.

BR.
                RIX

Comment

How much was that mark?

Comment

Got it in one Mark!

Ok, my choices are to either buy a new rod, or do a new bush - and seeing as we have a few competent machinists where I work (!!!), I think I'll collect the rod from my other box and see if I can get something made.

Thanks to Rix as well, we've got a selection of nylon so I reckon we can come up with something as long as I can get it apart to replicate it.

__MDC__
                    Martin Cutting

Comment

Now I come to think of it, maybe I should just cut and shut an Apex UJ to the end!

__MDC__
                      Martin Cutting

Comment

Right, got this one solved now - I have acquired an Apex military spec UJ (7/8 od, 3/4 id ends) and my measurements indicate that it will be entirely possible to adapt the rod with this UJ and a newly turned end bush to bolt to the gearbox. Apex UJ is definitely strong enough, we've used this size for steering in the past. This won't flex like the strange joint on the standard rod.

The plan is to cut the forked end off completely (after marking the orientation of the attachment) and use a piece of 3/4 x 16swg tube to adapt to the UJ (the id may need a bit of massaging to get it over the 16mm tube of the shift rod), then the other side of the UJ will have the new attachment bush. At the moment I am considering whether to bolt the bits together (makes replacement of the UJ possible) or just weld everything together.

I will update you all on this one when it's done, as long as one of the guys at work will turn the new end (I've got a competent fabricator at work who agreed to weld up the revised bits).

I'll get this and the short shift kit attached for transformed shifting!

__MDC__
                        Martin Cutting

Comment

Working...
                        X