Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner CV joint Q's

Chaps,

im after some info regarding the front inner CV's on 6 Spd S2s.

I currently have an 01E from a 94-95 S4 which Im using S2 front shafts on.

I know the inner CV's are 108mm and have a 94mm pcd, but I want to know the diameter and number of splines for the driveshafts.

Ive just picked up an allroad TDi box and it has different output flanges as they use tripod type inner joints.

The joints are pretty cheap to buy but I dont know if the will fit over my S2 driveshafts.

pretty sure ive seen a cross-ref guide posted at some point in the past, but the search wont let me search for "inner" cv joint, so its useless.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

do you know if the S2 output shaft and the allroad shafts interchange??
    thanks
    mal

Comment

I do, they are but I want to sell my gearbox as is or nobody will want it.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

ABY CV Joints

I spent some time researching this subject and hopefully this will help you out.

ABY CV Joints.pdf

It should all be correct but please check for certain.

JB
        2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
        1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Thanks for that JB, some good info there, glad someone has taken the time.

Looks like its a no go fitting allroad inner onto s2 shafts then, allroad inners have 34 splines as opposed to s2 shafts which are 28.

Interestingly / conviniently though, allroads and s2s have what looks like the same outers, or at least the same diameter, in/ex spline count and ABS teeth.

So fingers crossed the allroad shafts are roughly the same length, will get a set measured tomorrow.

Cheers.
          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

I've had some similar issues to fit my 0A3 RS4 gearbox. Pembo pointed me in the right directionbut yours is slightly different, still being an 01E.

I am sure the Allroad shafts will be too long as its a wider chassis. Also the outer CVs are very similar but the ABS ring on the A4 & A6 outer CVs is loarger than the S2 so it doedn't fit in the S2 hub. As you have found the Tripoid joints have a different spline configuration.
            AFAIK there are 3 types of Tripoid inner CV. The early ones are round. The later ones are fluted. I am sure all of the round ones are the same size. There are two different sized later fluted style joints.

Being an 01E I'll bet the Allroad uses the early round type, if so you should be able to use late B4 V6 front shafts as a bolt on - I have a pair here surplus to requirements you can try to see if they will indeed help you

If they use the newer fluted style Tripoid joints you have to get creative

Secondly have you tried simply swapping the geabox output flanges with those of your CBL box? Being an 01E they might just fit.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers Alex.

Any chance you could measure up the v6 winners for me? Pcd and cup diameter?

The joints for the all road I've seen online have flat faces on them, but thr output flanges are cupped like the later b4 stuff, if the bolt Pcd is the same then they'll work.

Allroad shafts are indeed longer, 25" as opposed to 23ish for the coupe.

And yes, I could use the flanges off my cbl, but I want to sell it and no one wants a box with no drive flanges.

Cheers.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

OK if they have the flat faces they will not work, as those are the later style which use a smaller PCD.

I will post some pictures and details tomorrow mate
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The cups on the box aren't flat, they have a recess inside for what looks like the bulge on the early joint. Just the pictures for new joints look like they are flat faced.

The Pcd for the bolt holes is bigger than the s2 inners.
                  1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Here are some pics that might help you:

Left to right:

1st - AAR3300i inner joint - this is the later flat mounting face and fluted housing with approx 104mm PCD (These are the type I am having to use with the 0A3 gearbox). There are tabs on the face that locate the joint in the output flange.
                    2nd - Smaller early style Tripodic joint with approx 94mm PCD used on smaller engines, not sure when from.
                    3rd - Larger early style Tripodic joint with approx 114mm PCD used on B4 V6 and later larger engines. AFAIK these are the ones that the early Allroads used.

Not shown is the AAR2900i joint which is the same shape as the AAR3300i but smaller - so that makes 4 different Tripodic inner joints.

Here is a picture of the output flange on my 0A3 gearbox - look familiar? Note it is dished even though the CV joint is flat faced

Once you have ascertained which type of joint you need it narrows the options in terms of which shafts are the right length.
                    Difficulty is the later cars generally don't have asymmetric shafts. Also, manual shafts are normally too long and auto shafts are too short.

On my car I am using shafts off a C.V.T. transmission A6 - the shafts are the same length as the shorter S2 shaft. I am making up a spacer for the passenger side to make up the difference. S2 outer CVs fit on the A6 shafts

HTH
                    Alex
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I had noted that the s2 cvs fitted the splines of the outer a6 shafts but the ones I measured were an inch or two too long anyway. Cheers for the pics Alex, I'll have a measure when I get in, but I suspect theyll be the same as the 0a3 ones you have.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

What year is the Allroad mate?
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

04 I'm told.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Just had a measure and they are 104mm PCD, so ill be needing the same shaftage as you perhaps.

Do you know the width of the 0A3 box between the flanges? Another factor to consider.
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Across the flanges its the same width as the 01E give or take a couple of mm
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X