what's up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's up

Been having a clicking sound from the rear of the car just jacked it up n/s of the floor as that's where the clicking is coming from, on turning the wheel which rotates freely and now and again it gets stiff a loud click can be heard and then goes free again when I placed my hand on the drive shaft at the diff end and rotated the wheel, as before it moved freely and then the click and its coming from either the diff or the cv joint

My question is what would it be , the Diff or as I suspect the joint anyone had this before. I am due to go on a RR day on Saturday which now I think is not advisable.

if it is the joint can it be re-furbed or is it best to replace with new.

thanks in advance.

If it is the joint then best thing is ti replace the whole thing, however i am afraid that you have a diff problem.

Do a serch here in forum about rear diff problems. There was a case where one of members had also similar locking problem and diff was unfortunetely shot ( pieces of gears have broken off.

Drain oil from rear diff and look if pieces of metal come out with oil. I hope not but you have to check.

Hope this helps.

Comment

The diff drain plugs won't budge, but I do have a spare re-furbed diff ready to go on sat in the garage

Comment

Hold the diff flange and twist the driveshaft back and forth - see if there is any play in the CV joint - there should be none.
        Also check that your diff lock actuator is not stuck or in the wrong position
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Great shout above on the diff lock. I had that at gti international where the diff lock wasn't full disengaged and was just picking up at some points then dropping out.

Comment

Working...
          X