Short Shift Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Shift Kit

Been reading around the net about the short shift kit for the 6speed GB. Is it a waste to install it on that GB, since the 6speed have a shorter range than the 5speed?? This is on a 94 ABY S2

Vegard M

Good modification. Fitted one to my 1995 ABY. Shortens the gear lever throw and makes it more precise. I wouldn't go back to being without it and I drove an S2 recently without the short shift and it isn't the same.
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
      Good modification. Fitted one to my 1995 ABY. Shortens the gear lever throw and makes it more precise. I wouldn't go back to being without it and I drove an S2 recently without the short shift and it isn't the same.
      I agree...I was in another audi like mine without it and it felt so weird. I love my short shift and I wouldn't live without it. I am in the process of having a precision u-joint machined for my linkage...This should eliminate ALL of the slop in the shifter.
      Joe "NoNonsense"
      axis motorsport
      joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
        I agree...I was in another audi like mine without it and it felt so weird. I love my short shift and I wouldn't live without it. I am in the process of having a precision u-joint machined for my linkage...This should eliminate ALL of the slop in the shifter.
        Best mod I have done for my 94 ABY Coupe The only problem I have is that the idiot who fitted it, threw away the plate that needs modification to prevent it slotting into reverse instead of first at traffic lights so easily Must get something sorted with that, but the short shift itself is excellent
        Karl
        Oz
        Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD
        Audi 90 Quattro 20V 1989 7A
        Audi TTRS 2010 APR stage 2 +
        Triumph 675 Street Triple R

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
          Keep us posted on the progress with this one.

Greg
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Do u have the web link for read the info (with some photos will be great)
            Audi 100 TDI :mischeif:

MRC remap; Green Injectors; Champion Sparks; Forge DV 006; Samco Intake pipes; K&N filter
            Xenon 6500k; Pillar Boost gauge; Alpine CDA 9835R on Bose with Infinity Sub
            Oettinger 8x18" with GS-D3 225/40ZR18; Bilstein with H&R Springs (-40mm)

www.autopamplona.com
            www.mrctuning.com

Comment

Originally posted by bcdesigns
              Do u have the web link for read the info (with some photos will be great)

Where did you guys get your short shift kit. I ordered one from billzcat about a month ago and still have not seen it.
              I think that is the same one VAG parts sells?

This is the one I ordered:
              Shift kit
              Billzcat instructions
              1990 RS2 Coupe

"If you have complete control of the damn thing, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 CQ
                Where did you guys get your short shift kit. I ordered one from billzcat about a month ago and still have not seen it.
                I think that is the same one VAG parts sells?

This is the one I ordered:
                Shift kit
                Billzcat instructions
                Mine is the Billzcat1. If you are in Europe, I'd recommend ordering from VAGparts.com as I think they stock a few of them. Martyn helped Billzcat1 develop the lockout for reverse on the 6-gangs, because we don't have any of those trannies here.

RS2 CQ, I think you should drop Richard an e-mail since you live in CA. Your short shifter didn't have to travel far. Richard's always been dependable for me, so maybe your order simply got misplaced (accidents happen). I'm sure Richard would help you out in no time flat.

@ Greg_S: I'll post pictures as things develop, but including a new shift rod at the dealer for $189, I'm already $400 in the hole total. The results, though, should be well worth it. Also, I could beat the snot out of the new u-joint everyday for 10 years and it'll be just as precise as the day I install it. It should compliment my short shift nicely... Nothing but smooth shifting from here on out.
                Joe "NoNonsense"
                axis motorsport
                joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

has any of you shortend youre gear lever?? any pics? and how was the gear change after that mod?

Comment

Originally posted by jeroen
                    has any of you shortend youre gear lever?? any pics? and how was the gear change after that mod?
                    Shortening the gear selector rod is my next step. I'm only going to lower it about 20mm. No more than that, though. You'd need a die to re-thread the lever...I can't remember the thread size, though.
                    Joe "NoNonsense"
                    axis motorsport
                    joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

One of the best mods I've done to my car so far and very cost-effective too. No hesitation in recommending this to any S2 owner.
                      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

what what what? last i heard the short shift kit did not come with the reverse lockout. has this changed now?
                        ABY Coupe
                        sigpic

Comment

No, it has to be modified to fit from the original

Comment

ahh thought so

"Martyn helped Billzcat1 develop the lockout for reverse on the 6-gangs, because we don't have any of those trannies here."

thought they made one for a minute then..
                            ABY Coupe
                            sigpic

Comment

Martyn, designed the modification method to reinstate the reverse lockout.

So he is correct!

Comment

Working...
                              X