Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn gearbox drone!!

hey fellow audi nutters!!
    i have a 93 s2 aby engine model,my little pampered baby has just started a very slight drone in second through to sixth.she has been chipped,but thats about it really.my question i need to ask is,i love my car,and have never scrimped on any costs,but i'm thinking about having the gearbox off,sending it to be fully reconditioned,and when re-fitting,replace the clutch,although its not gone,and is very light peddled,might go in the near future,and i don't fancy taking the gearbox off again!!is this wise??i've never had the box off any car except a damn rover sterling,what sort of cost am i looking at,and where the heck would i go to get all this work done?or thinking about it,would an rs2 box fit??thanks chaps,lee.

Lee the early 5 speeders and lesser mortal such as myself have problems with the gearbox pinion bearings going. That drones like mad......

It is totally speed related and tuns into a really annoying whine.

Not mush help but maybe that is what it is.

David

Comment

Figure for up to 8 - 9 hours labour for the gearbox in and out. (That's what is cost me to have my clutch done last year on my ABY...)

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

my aby had exactly the same drone, started off quiet then after a week or 2 got really bad, it was the crown wheel & pinion that went. gearbox out, rebuilt, they put a new clutch in and put the gearbox back in. result=v.large bill. at least though i know tthe gearbox will be good for another 100K +.
        Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
        Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
        Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
        Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
        Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Working...
        X