Gearbox is out, nice job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox is out, nice job!

Got the ****** out today. What a nice job, NOT. SteveH, if you do that on your back then good luck m8. Its heavy as hell. You also have to twist the box clockwise so that the bell housing just clears the steering arms!
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Nice newish clutch.....

Note: Procon Ten wires, who needs a crappy airbag, they scratch your face when they pop out
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Good stuff Tom, no guessing what you been doing today... off down the pub tonight then yes?
      Martyn
      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I did go to the pub, but i was on the wrong side of the bar!! I had to pull the pints

Nevermind, all money goes to the S2 fund!!
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom,

I'm definately NOT going to try and fit the S2 box by myself on the driveway! It was hard enough to lift it out of the boot, nevermind climbing around under the car with it.

I'll be looking for a freindly S2 owner who has access to garage ramps any ideas??

Steve..
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Piss off. I hated doing my own, nevermind anyone elses. I think you have more important things to worry about! :nana:
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Not that friendly, Steve, but if you brought your car down (either by driving or pushing!) I'll gladly sort it out for you! Now how's that for a non-friendly, non S2 owner?

Siena

Comment

LOL, only joking m8. If you really want a hand to do your box then give me a ring.

@Sienna, is there a trick to get the box past the steering arms? So far what i have done is jack the front of the engine up and turn the box through 90 degs clockwise to clear the casing.

Is that the best way or is there an easier one?
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Easiest way I have found is to UNDO the steering shackle, disconnect the steering arms from it and tie them out of the way. Works a treat, that way you can remove and replace the box dead straight. Undoing the snub mount also makes it a doddle (I presume you did this anyway).

Comment

Er, no i didnt. 3B with A/C etc, makes it a pain in the **** to do so!! Forgot about undoing snub mount. But i think its so worn anyway that it doesn't do anything!!!!
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Lucky yours is a 5 speed, not so heavy. The 6 speed, on the other hand IS REALLY heavy! I've just done one this weekend (94 ABY WITH AC), took 4 hours and a bit from start to finish. The early boxes in the type 85 cars are as heavy as 6 speeders (they have the same heavy casing) this includes the torsen box fitted to MB / RR cars. If your AC makes things difficult, remove the bumper, IC and cross member with snub mount stop. It may be long winded, but it makes life a whole lot easier.

Comment

Thanks for the advice m8, but i hope that i wont need to do it again. Having said that i think i have distorted the flywheel or clutch pressure plate!!! Get a bit of judder when first taking up the drive. Nevermind i will live with it.
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the offer of help My engine is coming out too, so I'll be dragging the lot out of the front of the car. I'll make sure I have a few mates around to help with the job
                          91 Modded 3B
                          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

query on gearbox removal?

I did my clutch last year (6sp aby) & yep it sure was a c*** of a job! one of the hardest bits i found was to get at the last bolt on the turbo to the downpipe. What did you guys use here? ( I bent a spanner to fit!)
                            Simon

Comment

Re: query on gearbox removal?

Originally posted by missmouse
                              one of the hardest bits i found was to get at the last bolt on the turbo to the downpipe. What did you guys use here? ( I bent a spanner to fit!)
                              Simon
                              I used a short spanner - one of those "small turn, flip over the spanner, small turn, flip over the spanner" jobs - takes a while.

I noticed the new genuine nuts were smaller than the ones that were fitted - wonder if Audi changed them?

Fancy changing a clutch sometime?
                              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Working...
                              X