Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CGR Gearbox - Noise - How long before it breaks ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGR Gearbox - Noise - How long before it breaks ?

My ABY CGR gearbox is now making a milder clicky CV type noise, and I'm just wondering how long will it last as a daily driver before it breaks or does further damage to the box.

What bits need to be replaced when the box is opened for repair ?

Thanks for any information.

Hey join the club

Is the noise only in 1st gear, or in every gear? If it is 1st gear gone the box is screwed, the input shaft is daft money so its not feasible to repair.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Only first gear. :roll eyes:

Comment

Too many full throttle launches i'm afraid. Mine has slowly been getting worse over the last year, i'm just going to keep driving until it gives up. Does sound nasty though.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

it does on my CBD too.Clicking noise only first gear.been running it for 2yrs.no problems.I have read someone could live with the noise for 7yrs w/o problems.
          one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Rocco had one for sale I recall. Might have been a 5 speed 3b though, cannot recall.

Never launch mine. You never can tell what abuse it had prior to your ownership so best enjoy 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc than 1st.

Comment

Only launched it once about five years ago.

Have two spare boxes, but not sure if they are much better.

Is a B5 RS4 DSY gearbox an option / upgrade ?

Or Maybe a C4 TDI box ? Not sure if this one would mean changing something at the rear of the car to effect suitable a final drive ratio ?

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Is a B5 RS4 DSY gearbox an option / upgrade ?

Or Maybe a C4 TDI box ? Not sure if this one would mean changing something at the rear of the car to effect suitable a final drive ratio ?

either box will fit,c4 is same final drive ratio

for the cost i think its pointless rebuilding these 6 speed boxes,plenty of them around for ÂŁ300 or less nowadays

Comment

AFAIK,you need to swap out the output flange on the TDI,the flange for the propshaft is identical if you want to go for Tdi box.
                  i hope to get mine done soon.any 01E,if you abused it let's say beat all the hell out from stationary,you're going to gaul the teeth.
                  one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

How many 01Es are about than have done under 150k? Not many. I gave up buying used 01Es, I'd wasted the best part of a grand after my 3rd one went in, squealing like a kicked piglet They are mostly all ****ed in one way or another. B5 01Es have their own issues with syncros & selector forks etc. Thats why I went with a 30k mile 0A3 box Of course its no where near a straight fit, but I like a challenge

My point is don't write off a rebuild or a more difficult conversion - at least you know it will be good for another 100k miles.
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      Thats why I went with a 30k mile 0A3 box Of course its no where near a straight fit, but I like a challenge
                      Not that I like or want a challenge, but tell us more, like what car is it from, and why is it not a straight fit ?

And lastly, is it any stronger, or is it just that it is fresher due to less milage ?

Thanks.

Comment

I just killed the 1st in my CGR too. Trying a B5S4 box soon

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                          Not that I like or want a challenge, but tell us more, like what car is it from, and why is it not a straight fit ?

And lastly, is it any stronger, or is it just that it is fresher due to less milage ?

Thanks.

Have a look in my project thread, lots of info about it
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Mine is still going strong, no noises at all and have given it a few 1st gear launches albeit at only 3k rpm. If I ever get any noises, most likely would go for a rebuild
                            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                            X