No announcement yet.

Smashed gearbox -arggh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah thx all - it's definitely 1st gear. The car will go in 2nd at around 4k rpm, goes in reverse fine, all others fine, just won't go in first at all. Dread to think of all that toothless chewed metal floating about in there nnngh.

Steve - you have pm mate. Also have an option from Jeffer but shipping costs might be high on that, not sure yet.

Again, thanks everyone for understanding

Cheers, Paul

P.s. and whilst I'm greatful for the use of the...uhm, car, I'm using the brother in laws' girlfriends car to get to work - a purple old shape Mazda 121 thing with one of those all the way back roofs and a clutch that slips at anything more than a smidgen of throttle. Nice Noddy car except Noddy wouldn't be seen dead in it.
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Bad luck mate - haven't heard from you for a while. Clean your PMs out I tried to send you one last night but your 'full'.

Off to the Alps tomorrow so maybe catch up in a week or so.
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

A ferry trip to holland might be financially viable if shipping is expensive?
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Jeffers seems to come across boxes fairly often so maybe worth dropping him a message also.

Mine is in need of recon too as its got a bearing noise when the clutch is down
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Link may help http://www.247spares.co.uk/audi-parts/gearboxes.php
            Alastair
            RS2

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
              Jeffers seems to come across boxes fairly often so maybe worth dropping him a message also.

Mine is in need of recon too as its got a bearing noise when the clutch is down
              Relax. It's only the release bearing then. The box is fine. Big job to change, tho
              -

Comment

I thought that, it was a new release bearing fitted altho the cowboys that done it did manage to bodge and **** up a few other things.... the steering arms mounting to the rack being one, luckily managed to use a tap and die to get the threads back

if it is that release bearing i'll be more than a little pissed off, is it doing any damage does anyone think? I'll get Tom to have a listen when i see him, see what he thinks
                Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

As long as it turns it makes no harm, but when it gets stuck it starts to wear the clutch cover springs.
                  -

Comment

APNess, go to easigears Thornaby on Tees, they quoted me last year £600 to recondition my gearbox, I have heard nowt but good reports about them and they know the six speed box well. The Recon covered anything which needed replacing with reguards bearings, syncros, selector bushes etc and its a bit more if you need new gears and shafts. I will try and find the number
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

i know some1 who has a six speed gearbox just PM

Comment

This place are always advertising in Audi Driver. Is this where you got your's done Tom ?
                        Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Yep thats the place. Very good service. They can also remove and refit gearbox too.
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
                            *clunk* £1800.

That's not an option.

I'll figure out what to do with the S2 when I've got some more transport sorted out. I could pay to get it fixed easy enough but I think it's time I changed to the dark side - been resisting the lure of diesel long enough.

So, apart from a chip, how can I make a diesel go faster? Nitrous?
                            Maybe you saw that episode of Fifth Gear? They added a nitrous kit to a Golf 1.9 tdi and it very nearly outdragged a brand new NSX.

Comment

Working...
                            X