Clutch pedal issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal issues

I got stranded (at least for ten minutes)!!!!

As I was driving on the highway when pressing the clutch pedal to go from fifth to sixth it just stayed down. The clucht was engaged so I could not go to any gear.

After putting the warn sign and way about to call raid assistance I simply pulled the clutch back up and after that everything was as normal!!! WTF????

Clutch disc, plate and bearing are 17000km old.

Today the clutch pedal stuck again. I have noticed that both times that happened while I was overtaking in high gear / fullthrodle / high boost and I wanted to change in higher gear. Can it be vaccum / boost related issue? Because after that I pulled the pedal by hand up and it continues to work just fine.
    Last edited by Billman; 10 August 2014, 12:48.
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Clutch Pedal

Check your clutch springs on the pedal mine did the same I found the springs were broken so not returning pedal

Comment

Clutch pedal failure modes and Clutch Master and Slave info

Could be mechanical (broken pedal, broken return spring) or hydraulic (borked master or borked slave cylinders). I am guessing your's is slave cylinder-related.

Some reading for you:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/24719.phtml

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/186276.phtml

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/41316.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Mine used to do this turned out it was the slave cylinder

Comment

It may have been covered in Daves thread If not there is a 6 mm rod on the master cylinder that can fail in two ways. It can break, or it can bend. Resulting in your symptoms.

Comment

Ι completed my journey doing another 350 km.

I will start by checking the spring and then change the master/slave cylinder.
            Last edited by Billman; 10 August 2014, 17:01.
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

BTDT.It occasionally did that when i had old master or slave clutch cylinder.
              one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

So I took the driver foot panel off and the only thing that looks broke. Is that sleeve.

Last edited by Billman; 12 August 2014, 10:57.
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The clutch pedal has 2 springs and according to the parts catalog it uses the 8A0721401 master cylinder which according to a German forum it has an M8 rod thread while all the others with one spring have M6 thread.
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Has the rubber filled joint failed? I sell a brace which fixes this
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Has the rubber filled joint failed? I sell a brace which fixes this

Did not see anything there. Do you have a picture to show me so that I can check!
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

When you press the pedal, the linkage to the master cylinder kinks rather than pushing. The bit that fails is about the size of a large coin and is filled with rubber, which disintegrates, causing the failure.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

So the circlip that holds the slave cylinder piston not jumping out failed. That caused the issues.
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                            So the circlip that holds the slave cylinder piston not jumping out failed. That caused the issues.
                            That sounds familiar.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I bought a Febi bilstein one now (originally on the car was a Sachs) and it needed a slight trimming on the outside in order to fit as it had some minor casting flaw.
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X