AAN flywheel vs ABY/ADU flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN flywheel vs ABY/ADU flywheel

Is there any performance advantage going with the AAN flywheel in an RS2? I'd like to keep the DMF to maintain the smoothness and I understand that the AAN flywheel is thinner than the RS2 so I'd need to eliminate the spacer. Just wondering if there is a weight advantage with going with the AAN DMF.

There is definitely a cost savings by going with a AAN clutch compared to an RS2 clutch. I'm looking at installing a Southbend Stage 3 clutch since my input shaft seal has failed and coated everything in transmission fluid.

Dave

DMF are crap... go for the old 7a or MC1 / mc2 and have a nicer engine...

Comment

3B is the best with Sachs Race Engineering 707 and depending on power levels, get the organic or sintered 4 puck friction plate.

7A and 3B can be lightened up to about the same level, my new one is ~8kg down from ~11kg (7A)
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

The 3B flywheel is just as hard to come by as an RS2 flywheel in North America. The 3B was only available in the 1991 Audi 100 and I don't believe that one was the same as the S2 3B.

I see the benefits of going to the 7A in certain conditions but I just figured living in a big city with stop and go traffic is more conducive to the DMF. I'd be happy if anyone can convince me otherwise. The 7A SMF is readily accessible over here.

Dave

Comment

7a lightened is fine in traffic any SMF between 8-10kg is fine in that regards, it's when the go below 8kg with some 5-6kg they are a nightmare

Comment

I have a spare 7a FW if you're interested Dave. Shoot me an email or PM.
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian RS2 View Post
              Is there any performance advantage going with the AAN flywheel in an RS2? I'd like to keep the DMF to maintain the smoothness and I understand that the AAN flywheel is thinner than the RS2 so I'd need to eliminate the spacer. Just wondering if there is a weight advantage with going with the AAN DMF.

There is definitely a cost savings by going with a AAN clutch compared to an RS2 clutch. I'm looking at installing a Southbend Stage 3 clutch since my input shaft seal has failed and coated everything in transmission fluid.

Dave
              Depending on the age / condition of your AAN DMF, and the power you intend for the engine, I'd keep the AAN flywheel and a matching oem spec Sachs clutch, as it will drive like the factory intended, smooth and not a pain and effort to drive in daily stop start traffic. Just my tuppence.

I am assuming not more than chipped RS2 power, and no tracking or dropped clutch starts.

Have a SMF on my S2 and don't like it, my three urS6 manuals are super smooth and less effort to drive. Empirical evidence to support my opinion.

Maybe I'm getting older, and more sensible.

Comment

ive been considering the same thing on mine.
                to go to a 7A FW from an ABY is a decent drop in weight

but there shouldnt be any side effects on balance of the engine surely as its not a massive difference...true??

it is a direct bolt on swap between 7A and ABY isnt it?
                Current:
                1993 Audi S2 Kingfisher Blue - GTX3582r w/ E85 = 430kw atw

Past:
                2002 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue Stage 3+ - 250kw+ atw
                2001 Audi S3 Silver - 169kw+ atw

Comment

Read my guide on the conversion

Ideally you'd have the flywheel matched to the one that comes out the car. Mines had a vibration at 1400rpm but I don't know if that's just the SM FW or a balance issue.

Loved my swap, made the car more responsive.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

if its any consolation I'm still running a DMF with my Sachs clutch....I to didn't want the hassle of stop start traffic.....

Comment

If the choice is between DM options only, there is an assumption that ABY/ADU clutch is stronger than AAN one. And smoother, because ABY/ADU unit has dampering in both flywheel and clutch disk.

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
                        If the choice is between DM options only, there is an assumption that ABY/ADU clutch is stronger than AAN one. And smoother, because ABY/ADU unit has dampering in both flywheel and clutch disk.
                        That's very interesting, can anyone else confirm this? For us S6 AAN guys.
                        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                        96 URS6 plus speck estate
                        94 2.6 80 Avant
                        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I have a sachs racing pressure plate for an aby if anyone is interested. Brand new. Sent in error as I need a 3b one.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                            That's very interesting, can anyone else confirm this? For us S6 AAN guys.
                            I'd be interested in hearing if this can be confirmed as well. I haven't been able to find much information comparing the ADU to the AAN flywheel.

Anyone know why one is thicker than the other?

I really don't want to switch to the SMF.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian RS2 View Post
                              Anyone know why one is thicker than the other?
                              AAN flywheel if 'flat' design and ADU is 'deepening/bowl' design.

ADU pressure plate is equal to UrS4/6 V8 plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X