Differential Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Oil

What differential oil is best to use for rear diff in typ 85 Audi? Is the gearbox oil Lee sells (millers) ok to use or is it wrong fopr the job?
    THanks
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Mobil SHC 75w90 or Castrol SAF-XJ
    They're both GL5 type

Gearbox requires GL4 Mobil VS200 or Castrol TAF-X
    -

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
      Mobil SHC 75w90 or Castrol SAF-XJ
      They're both GL5 type

Gearbox requires GL4 Mobil VS200 or Castrol TAF-X
      What about the ABY S2?
      I'm having all my fluids done whilst it's in the shop and I want to use the right stuff for the Diff and gearbox. Cheers
      Karl
      Oz
      Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD
      Audi 90 Quattro 20V 1989 7A
      Audi TTRS 2010 APR stage 2 +
      Triumph 675 Street Triple R

Comment

Same
        -

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730
          What differential oil is best to use for rear diff in typ 85 Audi? Is the gearbox oil Lee sells (millers) ok to use or is it wrong fopr the job?
          THanks
          Chris
          Hi,
          Don't know if you guys have Red Line synthetic oil products over there, but there MTL is great for transmissions and their MT90 is good for rear diffs.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...57&subcatID=18

Good stuff

Greg
          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Chris, The technical boffins at Millers suggested Millers CRX 75W90 for our gearboxes and differentials. This oil meets all the Audi specs and has all friction modifiers required for the manual transmissions and differentials we use unless you have a plate type LSD fitted (non original) in which case other formulas are required. I rate Millers products highly and have supplied many happy forum member with them. There are other products out there so I am not going to do any hard sell as it is not appropriate. Shor to say, it is the right stuff and it is more than up to the job.

HTH, Lee.

PS I use CRX80W140 but I do not recommend that to anyone on this forum unless they fully appreciate the consequences.
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
              HTH, Lee.

PS I use CRX80W140 but I do not recommend that to anyone on this forum unless they fully appreciate the consequences.
              Lee
              What are the consequences
              Cheers
              Karl
              Oz
              Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD

Comment

It can be extremely hard on the synchros when cold...I don't get second gear until I am up to temperature which only takes a few miles anyway. Some people try to force the gears in these situations and end up killing the synchros totally. The upside is much better protection for the box internals under really heavy use. Once warm, the change is fantastic and since changing I have cured some selection issues and made things smoother . It is just that most prople could not live with a few minutes of 1st to 3rd shifts and will probably kill their boxes as a result.
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                  It can be extremely hard on the synchros when cold...I don't get second gear until I am up to temperature which only takes a few miles anyway. Some people try to force the gears in these situations and end up killing the synchros totally. The upside is much better protection for the box internals under really heavy use. Once warm, the change is fantastic and since changing I have cured some selection issues and made things smoother . It is just that most prople could not live with a few minutes of 1st to 3rd shifts and will probably kill their boxes as a result.
                  Cool. I guess as on my run to work I barely get the car warm, I should stay away from it atm.
                  Cheers for the advice Lee
                  Karl
                  Oz

Comment

Working...
                  X