ABY Prop removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Prop removal

Ok before I start hitting things with big hammers is there anything else holding the prop to the gearbox other than bolts on a ABY coupe?

Cheers
    Andy

There is small manner of the centre bearing... you should also watch out for any shims and paint mark the current alignment so it stays nicely balanced.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

the cv's onto the prop flange (oo eerr missus...) can be reluctant to move if it hasnt been off the car before, may need a thump with a mallet to help them to part.
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

its just 6 bolts on the front,6 on the rear and 2 for centre bearing.there should be some washers between centre bearing and body.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
          There is small manner of the centre bearing... you should also watch out for any shims and paint mark the current alignment so it stays nicely balanced.
          Thanks engine and box are out of the car already just need to get the prop split from the box...

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
            the cv's onto the prop flange (oo eerr missus...) can be reluctant to move if it hasnt been off the car before, may need a thump with a mallet to help them to part.
            Thanks big hammer it is then

Comment

Originally posted by piotr View Post
              its just 6 bolts on the front,6 on the rear and 2 for centre bearing.there should be some washers between centre bearing and body.
              Perfect all removed just need to give it a thump..

Comment

I found that the front CV on the prop shaft ceases in the gearbox output flange.

I cut two notches in the CV housing (180 degrees apart) so that the CV could be hammered out the output flange, with the aid of a heavy drift punch or a blunt stone chisel.
                Regards
                Ryss
                www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Apologies for the slight detour bud. I was about to ask this question myself today and then saw your post. I am about to do this on a 1996 S6 estate and am wondering if the procedure is similar and if there is anything i should look out for.I am travelling a few miles to do this and need the right tools with me and don't want to be caught out. The downpipe and cats are still attached,do they need to be removed before the prop shaft?

Cheers guys.
                  96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                    Apologies for the slight detour bud. I was about to ask this question myself today and then saw your post. I am about to do this on a 1996 S6 estate and am wondering if the procedure is similar and if there is anything i should look out for.I am travelling a few miles to do this and need the right tools with me and don't want to be caught out. The downpipe and cats are still attached,do they need to be removed before the prop shaft?

Cheers guys.
                    Definitely need to be removed on a coupe (just the cats - downpipe is not necessary), but maybe your avants have more space

Think it was a 6mm allen key that held the bolts and M10 for the support bearing if I recall but don't take my word for it. Also doing it on the floor would seem easier unless you have something to support the propshaft, just my opinion
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Take a socket set too in case the Allen heads have been rounded.
                      I think 12mm will do

Comment

Working...
                      X