Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox oil questions

A few questions on gearbox oil...

My 3B has done 123000 miles. Will it ever have had a gearbox oil change in that time as part of its normal servicing routine from a VAG garage?

Does it need replacing? If so, are there any symptoms of needing to replace it? Does one need to check the gearbox oil levels ever?

Further - is it a difficult job to do? Access? Time required to drain/ re-fill?

What's the recommended gearbox oil for the job? Cost?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Mines done 180k and not been changed.

Ive been told the box's are made for life and not made for a easy oil change. Apparently if not leaking and fluid level fine dont bother.
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

Comment

Can't speak about S2 boxes but I 'm sure some of the latest do not have drain plugs !

Comment

I dont think mine does...
        ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

FAF Fit and forget!

The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I have just been quoted £150 + vat for the rear diff and the gearbox oils to be replaced by the local stealer. I'll also have to wait for them to source the oils as they dont have them in stock...Think i will give it a wide birth.

Having the oils changed should provide much smoother shifting as far as i know/would expect.
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Gawd- they are having a laugh. Its easy - only issue is getting the drain and fill plugs to release without a fight. Buy new ones in advance...

But first of all - make sure you can loosen the FILL plug *before* you remove the DRAIN plug !

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
                I dont think mine does...
                I beg to differ !

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

i was just thinking if its cheap they can deal with it...cos i couldnt be ar*ed but actually i think i can be for that amount :LOL:
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                    Buy new ones in advance...
                    ooh not thought about that before Baschurch.... Anyone know part no for Gearbx and Rear Diff?
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk
                      I have just been quoted £150 + vat for the rear diff and the gearbox oils to be replaced by the local stealer. I'll also have to wait for them to source the oils as they dont have them in stock...Think i will give it a wide birth.

Having the oils changed should provide much smoother shifting as far as i know/would expect.
                      Money for old rope IMO!

I didn't change the gbox oil in my 80 sport and that had 250,000 on it when I sold it and I have seen it around still going strong. (Yes I know its not an S2 but the principle applies )

Cheers,

Steve
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                        I beg to differ !

Paul

guess i do then
                        ABY Coupe
                        sigpic

Comment

I ask only because I was thinking whether it was worth trying to sneak in to the Baschurch meet as I'm doing an engine oil change, and I think Lee sells some Wynns gearbox oil?
                          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

So is it recommended to change the gearbox and diff oils? The manual for my 100 S4 states that the box and diff are sealed for the life of the car and don't require oil maintenance. I'm assuming that it's the same for the S2. Is there a good reason to go against this advise?
                            '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

i recommend REDLINE transmission fluids...they are fantastic!
                              Joe "NoNonsense"
                              axis motorsport
                              joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Working...
                              X