Rear diff cooler opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff cooler opinions

Hi guys, im seriously considering a rear diff cooler, as im refurbishing everything to better than new standard and fitting lsd, is a rear diff cooler needed or anyone with experience? Car will be doing euro trips and trackdays so any info is appreciated

Thanks

Well worthwhile mod on a track car I would say, especially if its a Torsen diff, they generate a lot of heat when pushed hard.
    I am part way through a set-up for mine for this reason. I have a 200sx / GT-R pump with a little 7 row cooler. I'm going to use a thermo-switch to bring the pump on at around 90 degrees, and also a manual override using the diff lock switch. Not done a great deal with it yet, but that is the plan. Need to get the diff off and weld some fittings into the casing, I planned to get the diff rebuilt at the same time.

Mocal and Tilton sell a pump
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

can I ask what type of LSD and the supplier?

Comment

i am planning to use a torsendiff from a audi 200 v8 3.6
        i know they are not so strong as an origional diff but it's for track use and not for hard launches on dragracing
        for diff cooling i was thinking to use a paspump with belt driving on a drive shaft
        audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
        TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
        AEM W/M injection

Comment

Oil pump can be used from old Nissan 200sx. It's cheap and easy available.

Comment

Originally posted by butchone View Post
            can I ask what type of LSD and the supplier?
            Its a torsen V8 lsd - i just so happen to know a lad with many 200sx's so may try to pilpher one from him . Also i thought the lsd's were stronger than the open diff?

Comment

Originally posted by dubmanted View Post
              Its a torsen V8 lsd - i just so happen to know a lad with many 200sx's so may try to pilpher one from him . Also i thought the lsd's were stronger than the open diff?
              Nope, the torsens are weaker than the stock S2 diff. They dont like high power launching, or if you lift a wheel then gain traction again they can go bang.

I love mine though, so much better than the stock diff for driving.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                Nope, the torsens are weaker than the stock S2 diff. They dont like high power launching, or if you lift a wheel then gain traction again they can go bang.

I love mine though, so much better than the stock diff for driving.
                Damn i really didnt know this, but its good to get the information. Basically ill have lsd front & rear, can i ask what setup you have and does the lsd on the rear make a big difference? Whats the rated power limit on the torsen lsd?

Cheers

Comment

I have a stock (open) front diff, stock (torsen) centre diff and a v8 torsen rear diff.

I like the torsen rear diff, you can get more traction coming out the corner, no more spinning up the inside rear wheel. You can also powerslide for a bit of fun.

As its a torsen diff it will go open if there is no traction to one wheel.

I dont know what the max BHP they will take, but a few people on here have blown them up with 400bhp+ drag launches, a guy on motorgeek broke his when he lifted a wheel then got traction again.

Mine has was used for a daily (280bhp) for over a year, 280+nitrous drag launches and now RS2 spec (360+bhp?) for a few drives and one track day.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

What are you doing with the car?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                      What are you doing with the car?
                      I wont be doing many hard launches, but car will be used as a toy, be used on track, and trips round europe & nurburgring etc. car will be hopefully around 600/650hp

Thanks

Comment

There are also 2 types of v8 torsen rear diff, single piece ones are stronger than the multi piece ones.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by dubmanted View Post
                          Damn i really didnt know this, but its good to get the information. Basically ill have lsd front & rear, can i ask what setup you have and does the lsd on the rear make a big difference? Whats the rated power limit on the torsen lsd?

Cheers
                          torsen is great to drive and you will notice the difference straight away, I run a few with around 500hp with very hard abuse and they were fine, broke all of them launching so dont try it if i were you.
                          Im going gripper diff next with clutch type

Comment

Rear LSD really does transform the way the car behaves at the limit, much more fun.
                            The V8 torsens are fragile but not unreliable if you look after them. IMHO they only appear weak in comparison to the rest of the drivetrain which is bomb proof. Stay away from launching and you'll probably be fine. I can see the wheel lift scenario causing damage though as Andy says.
                            As above Gripper have options, or Wavatrac. Both of which will probably be more suited to your power levels, more costly of course. I am sure Quaiffe will have something suitable
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              or Wavatrac.
                              I have the wavetrac unit (allthough have not tested it yet). I would sooner get a gearbox cooler than a rear diff cooler though.
                              Issam N. Abed
                              iABED Industries
                              iABED Email | Facebook
                              The build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X