I5 FWD Gearbox Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I5 FWD Gearbox Specs

For those of us still working on those project cars and dreaming of Quattro can anyone explain the differences between the 2.0l fwd gearbox and the 2.3 fwd gearbox (if any).
    The reason for asking is that B4 80 auto 2.3s are fairly common here in NZ but the only manual B4 80s around are the 2.0l four cylinder. I want to throw out the 2L and fit the
    I5 , at least it will sound right!
    Any help appreciated.

Would be helpful if you have gearbox codes - then it's easy to look up specific ratios etc
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

AFAIK the 2.0 gearbox at least has the double bolt pattern making the 5-pot a straight fit. I would think the ratios will be fine for the 2.3 as well.

Comment

That's good to know if it will bolt straight up. As Paul suggested I did some more digging and have attached a list of FWD gearboxes/ratios, plenty to choose from!
        The I5 is an 012 code AXG as standard.
        I guess I be needing a 7A flywheel and clutch in place of the auto setup unless the 4 cyl flywheel bolts on?
        Attached Files

Comment

the tranny MAY fit right on.... not all of them did have the dual boltpattern... nothing from the 4 pot will fit the 5pot.... you need a complete 5 pot engine..., and you MAY also need the engine mounts in chassi ( weld in, its a easy job, you cant miss.. do NOT bent or bee hash with theese, they will fit if your car doesent have this).. and you also may need the subframe for 5 pot.. some of theese car does have the 4 pot mount in chassi, not on the subframe.. you may need the radiator/ cooling system for 5 pot

Comment

Not quite straightforward then. I have a 1992 auto 2.3 complete car with low k's I was going to use as a base, or for the engine. Its a toss up between converting that to manual (box, driveshafts, pedalbox etc) or buying a 2.ol manual car and going the other way (flywheel, mounts, rad etc).
            The other option is a very tired FWD 2.3 100 with all running gear and AXG gearbox.
            But I guess driveshafts etc will be different again.

Comment

Working...
            X