Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make 01e DGV (s8 d2) transmission to be made front biased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to make 01e DGV (s8 d2) transmission to be made front biased?

Hello,
    I have a strange project trying to use 01e transaxle and engine for mid engine track car. But what is worrying me is that the original 40/60 front/rear torque distribution won't be good. Is it a way to swap this distribution or better make it 4:1 so in the end the car will have rougly 30/70 front/rear distribution in the mid engine configuration?

I practically want to make 01e transmission to behave like the R8 transmission.

Also is it possible for the axles going from the transaxles to be connected without differential and receive 100% of the torque of the engine and the rear differential (now front) to receive a portion of this? Some thing like the R8 transmission

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

why not USE a R8 as a donor...problem solved??

Comment

if you will use the some sort of 01e tranny, and rear diff in front end, i think you need to change the diff ( cronwheel) to the other side of the pinion...( they did this in some vw trannys, to use/ homemade trike kombo...) but to do this in audi trannys.....so a R8 donor.... problem solved..

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
        if you will use the some sort of 01e tranny, and rear diff in front end, i think you need to change the diff ( cronwheel) to the other side of the pinion...( they did this in some vw trannys, to use/ homemade trike kombo...) but to do this in audi trannys.....so a R8 donor.... problem solved..
        They has to do that with the VW transmissions in the mid-engine application because in the OE application, the engine was behind, not ahead of, the transmission and the swap was necessary because of the rotation of the engine stayed in the same direction (think about it).

In this case, the AAN/ABY in question was already ahead of the transmission so you don't have to swap the crown to the otherside, it's already in the correct side/position.

The issue with the split comes from the Torsen "center" diff. In a mid-engine application you wouldn't have an output to the rear so you could simply eliminate the Torsen center diff. AND by the time you've done that, you might as well use a front-wheel drive version of the 01E.

IMO.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

The DGV S8 01E is 50/50 not 40/60. It is possible to fit a 40/60 center diff with a kit from Prospeed http://www.prospeed.bg/en/product/5519/0

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
            The DGV S8 01E is 50/50 not 40/60. It is possible to fit a 40/60 center diff with a kit from Prospeed http://www.prospeed.bg/en/product/5519/0
            Why the concern about the "center" diff? There isn't going to be ANY output to the rear. Just eliminate it, weld it up or use a FWD tranmission. And yes I know the FWD transmission uses a solid output shaft and the quattro trans a hollow shaft. That points to using the FWD trans in this application.

01E quattro:

01E FWD:

01E quattro:

This looks like an 01E FWD trans mated to a 2.7tt in a mid-engine homebuild:

Just some info for you.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 4 February 2015, 22:57.
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

FWD transaxle seems the way forward if only wanting mid engined RWD. For 4WD mid engine is a whole other ball ache! Probably best getting skyline running gear!

Comment

IF you go for the picture ( from URs4boy)... use a thorsen unit quattro tranny, use a sort of dropbox/ gearvendor, form ford sierra 4x4, or bmw or from GM 204 /205.. with propshaft yoke forward... and bmw or ford front diff ( ratio reminder)... ( the really long way....???

Comment

Get a transfer case from a 4WD car (Jeep, Nissan, etc.) and couple it with the 01E box. Remove the rear yoke and keep only the front one. Remove the part from the transfer case responsible for the high and low gears and only use the part with chain/sprockets that drives the front yoke. Then it's about finding a front differential with the same ratio.

Comment

Working...
                  X