Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible vibration

Hello and greetings from Estonia!

I have some kind of a strange problem with my 1.8T B4 quattro. It vibrates horribly while I'm trying to accelerate, especially when cornering. It feels like rear diff wants to come inside. Sometimes vibration is so strong that I'm afraid it could crack rear or front windshield. Vibration sometimes stops when engine speed reaches 2000rpm or I just take foot off the accelerator. Today it vibrated slightly all over the car while engine was under constant load - driving in city 50km/h. Problem is getting worse and I have no idea what to check or what to replace. Oil in gearbox is new, changed a month ago. Rear diff is also filled up to plug. Engine mounts, gearbox mounts and diff mounts are also fine. One thing I noticed is that it won't vibrate under hard acceleration while doing 4000rpm launch and speeding up to 100km/h and since it starts to vibrate from rear end I think engine is running fine and problem is somewhere at rear end.

At the moment I know that propshaft rear cv joint and rear diff flange paint marks might not line up, because I didn't check them while I installed prop. Could it be the issue, although I have driven 5000km after propshaft install? Can it hurt torsen?

Tomorrow I'm trying to swap out rear inner cv-joints and check those paint marks, but meanwhile you can share your thoughts and experiences with me

Sounds like you need to check the paint marks on the prop and make sure they line up. If not, adjust it and see if it helps.

How is the prop centre bearing?
    1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

So first I tried to adjust propshaft position but it made no difference. Then I took off rear driveshafts and found that one of the outer cv joints didn't move freely and got stuck at some points. New rear outer cv joint solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X