Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox/ shifting improvements?

Hey guys,
    Had a little spin today. I notice that the gears seem quite stiff and more difficult to shift into and also once shifting into 2nd from first I ended up grinding it twice! :/.
    not good ..

(ABY S2)
    Are the gearboxes usually like this? or are there things to watch out for on these boxes? things to tighten up and sort? or is the box on its way out?
    It is an old car.. and the gears in with regards to acceleration.. are the weakest part atm.

Seriously, no one knows about this?
    on another note, Im finding these days that driving is becoming less fun.. more restrictive.. also more people on the road.

Comment

My ABY has the same issue going from 1st to second, especially when cold.

In my case though I think it's the clutch on it's way out as it's very heavy and has to be pushed hard to the floor from 1st to 2nd, you can't rush it either.

Comment

Have a search, there are lots of threads about this kind of niggle:

A few things you can try that are good routine maintenance anyway:
        Replace the gearbox oil (I'd do it twice to flush it out)
        Bleed the clutch hydraulics thoroughly
        Check the linkage
        Replace the gearbox mounts
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Perfect! Thank you chaps!!
          Oh and Special thank you to you Error for the radiator mount!!
          Your a star!

Comment

If you still have issues you may well have a worn synchro, eventually the shift collar locks up, JHM do rebuild kits.

The gearboxes are old and the 2nd gear synchro generally gets a hard life.
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hey thats great news!! Thanks Andy!!

Comment

Chris,
                  have you tried to shift into any gears with the engine off?
                  first off,i'd recommend checking the gear oil if it's old and dirt.
                  it's a good time to do it.no matter the issue is exist but if it's old.
                  it's a preventive programme for the car though.
                  second,you should start playing and investigating the linkage if it
                  was not worn out badly,i don't think the problem is there.
                  someone recommended to check the engine ,trans mounts since
                  there's a chance to make the linkage,shift folk is out of position.
                  third,verify if the clutch is fully disengaged when depressing the clutch
                  pedal.testing by shifting the gear with the engine on/off and see any differences/improvement.
                  the hardest gear to shift is the reverse since it's only gear without syncro.
                  fourth,normally if your syncros are getting worn out,you will be grinding the gears at
                  higher RPMs(6000-7000RPMs) with the spirits shifting.normal driving and shifting,it'll be fine.
                  what the engagement/disengagement point of your pedal,how much dead travel from the top of
                  the pedal?another signs of worn out syncros is it usually sticking on 1-2 gears when cold once
                  the temp is reached,it's way smoother than cold.you need to investigate the symptoms on your car
                  and rule it out one by one.if finally you have worn out syncros,the cheapest but not best solution
                  is finding a good known gearbox though any 01Es on this day is 20years old.the best solution is
                  tearing the box apart and checking the syncros,shift collars and get the rebuild kits.it's time consuming
                  and more investing but it's your best bet for another 2-300,000kms.if you decided to have it rebuild
                  give me a shout and i can send you a copied of rebuild video.
                  Cheers,
                  pop
                  one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Hey thank you very much!! you are most helpful!!
                    Its in high rpm changing and perhaps a lttle cold -- will try these things out. apparantly the JHM company do carbon rebuild syncro.. stating its even better.
                    Hmm all very good and sensible options and points taken. I'll check the lot!

Comment

Working...
                    X