Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red oil in my gearbox?

Hey again guys!

Recently i painted my gearbox after doing some clutch work and had red oil coming out of the breather-cap ontop of the gearbox when I tipped it to paint it. I then went to Audi to buy some transmission oil and got some yellow-ish oil instead. Now im at a point where I dont feel like mixing these to oils as they have different colours.
    Am i mistaken something here? Does the gearbox have both differential oil and gearbox oil in it in two seperate places or has the red oil been replaced with the yellow-ish oil I just mentioned?

best regards

There is only one section to fill in the box, so you don't have to worry there. It's probably been filled with different oil or Audi has changed the colour of their oil. I emptied a box recently to refill it and the oil was red. I would drain the whole box and refill with new.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Alright, but can there be a difference between the 3b or ABY engine, since the 3b runs a 5 speed and the ABY a 6 speed, just so we dont mix the two as mine is an ABY?

The big filler plug is fitted right next to the left frontal driveshaft as shown in the picture wherein the red oil was. Is this for differential oil or gearbox oil?
      Attached Files

Comment

Same oil in both types of boxes. The box is open so the diffs and gears all share the same oil.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Yep same oil. Could be a fancy after market red go faster oil in yours or maybe some tube filled it with atf. What's it smell like.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Comment

! COOL! thanks for your help ill get going and get some oil-work done!

Best regards

Comment

ATF is usually red. Many people fill standard boxes with ATF for some reason.

Comment

Is there a reason to fill ATF?

Comment

Atf swells seals and stops leaks. Also can reduce noises.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                  X