Gearbox out and Fooked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox out and Fooked!

Just had a call about my gearbox, it's out and sounds pretty messed! Looks like i need new input shaft , new first, 5th was completly stripped and i think mayb i'm not sure what the guy said but an intermidate shaft (does he mean lay?) obviously all new bearings and seals! I really dont want to hear the estimate for bits!
    Think a complete box seconhand looks the best option at the moment, also replacing the clutch which is the best to get for as little money as possible as the bank manager is going to have a field day otherwise!

D'oh, bad news fella!
    acidtrax

Comment

I'm surpirsed there was all this damage resulting from just wear, it's not as if i grinded the gears or anything, though i know why 5th is stripped probably the high speeds ,
      Though still dont understand why the shafts would be damaged! I suppose if the bearings are shot to pieces, they could vibrate, ah leave it to the experts i shouldt worry about the damage it's done and i need to fix it, well atleast i will have a nice new gearbox soon! and a credit card payment to match!

Comment

Have you seen the damage yourself? Get him to send you some digital photos of the bits he says are fecked.
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

mike you getting the clutch as well????.....arnt you looking to go RS2 spec at the end of the year, should you do the clutch now. Wat clutch you thinks best for the money???
          jon

Comment

Get another box. There is no sense in fixing the old one.
            -

Comment

2nd hand box for sure!
              Martyn
              -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Agreed here also !
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

You'll get a good 2nd hand box for pennies compared to the cost of rebuilding the broken one.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

does anyone know of a good source for used boxes?
                    Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

Comment

Mike any update on this???......wat was it you said on the phone they reckoned £1600 or something of the like???....are you getting a 2nd hand box??
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by s2_southwest
                        does anyone know of a good source for used boxes?
                        Theres always somebody got one on the forum, or allaudi, etc...... Steve H normally has a few knocking about somewhere!
                        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

LOL, tom normally nicks those doesnt he....
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Dnt know how useful this will be, but there have been a couple of S2 or RS2 boxes on ebay of late in europe, i looked up getting some parts over there before, its less than 400 miles from mine to Germany so its not really that far if a bargain could be had.

Good luck with the box
                            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Update: Got second hand box, THANKS SAL! Once again you have saved my car, i recon in a years or so times i will just have transported your old one down south and built it up!
                              REally thanks, will let everyone know when everything is back in and running, thanks everyone for the constuctive comments!
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X