Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear differential seal installation?

Hey folks!

I just wanted to replace my rear differential oil seal and found out I need special vw/audi tool to knock it in place again. Does anyone know the special tool number?
    I recently read in a workshop manual for the coupés for the none S models, that the tool used on those was the toolnumber "2062", but does it work for the S models aswell??

Best regards

To be honest when i used to build axles diffs ETC a roller bearing casing would always do the job perfectly.

Comment

Well, the problem isnt to get it in there again, but how far it has to go in. Thats why I want the tool number as I can go borrow it from a friend when I find out the number of the tool

Comment

are you using a new flange? is there a grove in the old flange? its sometimes better to fit the seal in a different place (it it is possible) so it avoids the grove

Comment

I can see where the old one has been lying and my first thought would be to place the new one there as I dont want it to step and run on the grove. A second thought was to grind/sand the grove, but I just thing it well make alot of small scratches which will end up making it leaking again.

Comment

Im using the fold flange

Comment

Anyone have a pic of their seal installed.
              I did mine but want to be sure I didn't drive
              it in to far.

Comment

Which side are you asking about here ?

The right side (small) seal can be seen here

Special tool for the large seal is 3066
                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Yes that's the one I did, thanks. Do you
                  know if it's possible to find the factory left
                  side seal (The big one).The only ones I
                  can find are Corteco brand.
                  Last edited by orignalS60; 24 November 2015, 11:30.

Comment

When installing the large seal you'll find audi supplied its own tool with the rear diff. When you remove the flange you'll see a washer at the bottom of the diff. Remove the washer. Then locate the seal partially and straight. Put in the flange and wind it/tighten it all the way down until it bottoms out. Now remove flange and replace washer back into the diff. Refit flange and torque to spec. It will now be perfectly positioned.
                    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Any chance you have a picture JP?
                      I had the flange off but didn't see
                      a washer in there.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
                        When installing the large seal you'll find audi supplied its own tool with the rear diff. When you remove the flange you'll see a washer at the bottom of the diff. Remove the washer. Then locate the seal partially and straight. Put in the flange and wind it/tighten it all the way down until it bottoms out. Now remove flange and replace washer back into the diff. Refit flange and torque to spec. It will now be perfectly positioned.
                        I wondered what that washer was for when I replaced my large seal last week!

Everyday is a school day

Comment

You need to drive lip seals in with pressure on the outer rim or you will distort the seal carcass.
                          Make sure the seal runs on a fresh section of the output flange shaft or it will leak
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                          X