No announcement yet.

Wheel Wobble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I left it disconnected. There's plenty of play... I'm trying to source a new on using Boge p/no 22-747-1. What did you use?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I haven't yet, I ordered a compatible part and it was no good when I opened the box. Still need to find a replacement before I trash these new tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my new steering damper through and it's night and day different, so the old one was definitely kaput. I've also rebuilt the front driveshafts and checked the bearings for play and smoothness while it was all apart. Will put it all back together and see if it's better...
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

where'd you source the damper?

Comment

I know you say 2 sets of balanced wheels but what about the tyres? I had something similar like this after parking up for a long time. wobbles at around 80 the whole car shook. Smooth as you like at 40, 50, 60... 80/85 really bad whole car shaking. Steering wheel bouncing and everything. Just got worse from 80 upwards.

Suspected flat spotted tyres. After a 200 mile round trip with about 38 psi in the tyres and some weaving luckily it went. I don't know if it was actually flat spots or something else suspension related and because it sat for a while but it went away.
            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

It could be that, although I did 500+ miles over Christmas and it made no noticeable difference

The new steering damper I have is night and day different to the old one, which is shot, so that will help mask the problem, if not solve it

I got the damper through bestcarparts.co.uk, whi are autopart.eu and ship from Germany. Used them a few times to source German parts, now, as UK sources are few and far between, other than eBay.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

New steering damper has 90% solved it. Most likely a balancing issue now so chuffed to get it sorted
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

good deal

Comment

Thanks for the heads up
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

So, after doing a load of work of the car... this has come back A few things to try but most annoying...
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Did you ever try inner cv's?

Comment

Yes, inner and outer on both sides, drop links x2, track rod ends, steering damper...

The arms are polybushed, balljoints are quite new, subframe is solidly mounted, engine, box and diff are now polybushed.

The only rubber in the system are the tie rod ends now, which may be part of the problem, as there's nothing to absorb any wheel eccentricity, hence why it's quite sensitive.

The only thing I've found that cured it was removing a drop link, which I think stops the wobble being translated side to side and setting up the resonance.

Top mounts are next, I've ordered new bearings, as the non motorsport ones I tired have some play in them and these are the only things I've not tried, other than springs & dampers. I may get new tyres on my other wheels too.

Was a bit fed up earlier, after finding the cost of the top mount bearings, combined with it being like an oven in the house, so hopefully a cooler day and cooler head will help.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Dampers?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                              Dampers?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

My front shocks started to fail and I noticed my steering wheel started to wobble when coming off motorway and braking. Dad's shocks have very much failed and he has the same problem. So worth a check.
                              '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                              '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I checked the passenger side this morning but it feels tight. Will check the driver's side over the weekend too, as I wanted to check the adjustment of the Konis too.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X