Engage reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engage reverse

Last few weeks I've noticed an occassional difficulty in engaging reverse - I have the 5-speed box on a 91S2. Has done about 110,00 miles.
    There doesn't seem to me to be anything else wrong with the gears - all work as nicely as they can on a 5-speed S2, clutch seems fine, no slipping or anything. I just get this occassional problem with putting it in reverse.

The best way to get around it is actually to move the car a few inches - just re-selecting a forward gear first doesn't seem to help.

Does this sound expensive?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

box oil?

Dan,
    I have not much experience with the car boxes, but i do have some with the bigger ones fitted to coaches! Maybe just try an oil change first! It works wonders on coaches!

(Speak to Shell or someone and see if there is a thinner oil you can use?)

(we changed from a thick mineral oil to a thiner full synthetic which transofmed the change on completely!)

Godda be worth a shot!

Glen C,
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Is it easier to select the gear when the engine is turned off? If so then it sounds like the clutch is draggng. Try bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. Or it may be leaking?
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Just a query about the leaking gearbox theory- would that be most likely leaking from a seal, or a major structural impending disaster?

It sounds like I need to check the gearbox fluid levels. Thanks
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Sounds like a syncro problem - those boxes DID have syncro on reverse as well as the 5 forward ratios.

Comment

Working...
          X