Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

01E gearbox with mechanical cable style speedometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01E gearbox with mechanical cable style speedometer?

Hello

We're finishing a Typ85 80 build with 01E gearbox. I came across a post which hinted that it's possible to get the cable style speedo to work with 01E. Does anyone have more insight what need to be done?
    The gearbox is coming off once more so it would be very convenient to tackle this matter as well.

Mentioned post:
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...34&postcount=2

Any info would be much appreciated!
    Marten

Check that topic another time. I updated it because it has a lot more info.
    5vtq gte

Comment

Thanks! I think we're good now.

Marten

Comment

Does anyone have an idea what happens when you max out the cable driven speedometer?
        The speedometer has a "trip counter" reset button which in a way will act as a mechanical limiter for the needle. So let's say if I would push it to 300+km/h (theoretically), what would happen to the plastic gears?
        Should the plastic "trip counter" reset button have to be removed to go faster than 230-240 km/h with out harming the plastic gears?

80nd.jpg IMG_0430.JPG

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

The trip counters are usually driven by a plastic worm gear reduction set and wouldn t think they would be damaged by a higher speed. Take an old one to bits to see the layout ?. The reset button only engages when it's pressed and disengages the drive at that point, so again, not a problem as far as I can see. The lube on the gears dries out with age though, so clean and relube if it's never been done in the past and make sure the counters are not sticking. That problem broke the small drive pinion on mine, but readily available...

Comment

Working...
            X