Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight flywheel on ABY with tranny spacer

Gents,

i had my tuners install my lightweight flywheel and spec clutch from 034 but they did not remove the tranny/bellhousing spacer, even though i mentioned that the spacer should be removed.

Their reasoning was that it all bolted back up pretty easily without excessive clearances and just had to shim the pressure plate slightly to get the clutch to engage as it was bottom out the slave/fork

The car has been driving as relatively normal, but with a higher clutch pedal engagement than normal, and also a shunting when backing off the throttle which im not sure is related (im looking to do all CVs and prop bearing shortly).

My question is should i be getting the spacer removed asap or continue as is until i next can remove the gearbox
    Current:
    1993 Audi S2 Kingfisher Blue - GTX3582r w/ E85 = 430kw atw

Past:
    2002 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue Stage 3+ - 250kw+ atw
    2001 Audi S3 Silver - 169kw+ atw

Originally posted by momento1 View Post
    and also a shunting when backing off the throttle which im not sure is related (im looking to do all CVs and prop bearing shortly).
    Some of that shunting is perhaps due to the lack of dual mass flywheel which was designed to absorb that kind of force and you took it out of the equation.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

hmm i see..
      it feels almost like a bit of drivetrain slop so to speak....

When i grab a hold of the prop shaft, i can physically move the shaft back and forth with a little bit of force
      Current:

Past:

Comment

the lighter flywheel causes some of the above said potentially. i get more on/off feel from clutch and flywheel than on dm. dm smoothed things.

worth checking the gearbox mounts are tight too.

i tihnk the answer to the question depends on whether its a 7a/3b wheel or a dm replacement thats the same thickness.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
          the lighter flywheel causes some of the above said potentially. i get more on/off feel from clutch and flywheel than on dm. dm smoothed things.

worth checking the gearbox mounts are tight too.

i tihnk the answer to the question depends on whether its a 7a/3b wheel or a dm replacement thats the same thickness.
          Its an aluminium single mass

I replaced engine and gearbox mounts to stiffer delrin mounts, but the slack is still there

Its almost as if i should be looking into a custom length prop shaft to pick up the difference in slack.

actually as im thinking about it, if i do remove the 10mm gear box spacer that should take up soome of that slack!!
          Im just hoping that the trans mounts have enough play in them to move the gearbox slightly forward
          Current:

Past:

Comment

The shunt is caused by wear in the centre diff.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              The shunt is caused by wear in the centre diff.
              really?

so time to upgrade to a 4:1 diff?
              or maybe not as 4:1 is not good for straight line racing...
              Current:

Past:

Comment

A modified bias ratio won't fix it. Its wear / lash in the diff - you need to repair or replace the diff.
                The later T2/T3 diffs of the B6/B7 platform are way better but you need to swap to a 0A3 gearbox or use the Prospeed conversion kit to fit these diffs in an 01E gearbox. The other option is going with an aftermarket unit i.e. Gripper but these are probably less civilised on a road car.
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The propshaft should move. It's just the splines on the shaft running into the cv joints.

Comment

Cheers for the confirmation guys.
                    Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                    X