Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed CV joint or propshaft centre bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed CV joint or propshaft centre bearing?

Recently my S4 developed a pretty horrible grinding noise (with a slight drone to it), it is not properly droning so I'm sure it isn't a wheel bearing and also there is no movement in the wheel. Noise is most prominent at around 30mph and just over 60mph, I really don't dare going over that because it gets pretty scary, very noisy and car starts to vibrate through the steering wheel and pedals. There doesn't seem to be any excessive play in the driveshafts. Slight inwards/outwards movement. Noise doesn't go away/ change when clutch is depressed so hopefully gearbox is ok.

Noise did start after going over the raised bit in the middle of mini roundabout at speed, maybe coincidence, I don't know! Before I start stripping maybe people have ideas on where to start or what to check first?
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Certainly sounds like prop centre bearing or could be a worn/sticking cv causing the vibrations. I would look to get it off the car and give it a look over. Worst case, you can clean the cvs and lube them again and be confident they are not going to cause issues again for a while. Did you ground out the car at all?
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
      Certainly sounds like prop centre bearing or could be a worn/sticking cv causing the vibrations. I would look to get it off the car and give it a look over. Worst case, you can clean the cvs and lube them again and be confident they are not going to cause issues again for a while. Did you ground out the car at all?
      Would I be able to see/check condition with it still on the car i.e. extra movement? I have a spare prob, so I would just rebuild that and balance it. But before that I'd like to make sure. Taking it off seems to be hell of a job Don't think it ground out at all, just kind of drivers side wheel flew over it
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I have been getting rattling noise from under the car now for a while. Last post on here; http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=75800&page=57
        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
          I have been getting rattling noise from under the car now for a while. Last post on here; http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=75800&page=57
          Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
          I am getting this noise from the underside of the car on cold starts. Sounds like one of the propshaft CV's have given up. I have a spare waiting for rebuild and balance but in the meanwhile, Is there anything major that can happen?

Besides sounding like a diesel, I think that sound is exhaust hitting the body.

That said, the prop shaft CV joints grease can turn hard like a wax crayon. Best to check and if so, get the boots back and the wax/grease washed out and replaced with proper CV joint grease.
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

C4 Driveshaft Info including links to replacement centre bearings, CV joints and DIYs

You might want to investigate the links at this old post:

C4 Driveshaft Info including links to replacement centre bearings, CV joints and DIYs:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/24331.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Both front driveshafts were off about a year ago, both got washed out and filled with proper CV grease. I'll try and get car in a ramp and see if I can see anything. Worse case scenario I'll just have to splash out on new CV joints, centre bearing and balance for the spare prop and just put it on and hope for best.

As for exhaust hitting body, I don't know. It is pretty sturdy with those chain mounts and can't see anywhere it could hit it, but then again you never know.
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

most vibration is coming through the wheel rather than whole car so id like to think that front driveshafts have given up. So I'll take both out and re-grease and see if it changes and if so, I'll just refurb both with new CV.
                Last edited by hunker7; 21 July 2017, 10:40.
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I took off drivers side CV joint and grease wasn't "hard" or waxy, I put some more in and put it back but no change. I still want to think it is driveshaft and not propshaft, So my question now is, is CV joint the same for propshaft and driveshaft (inner)?

it is easier yo take driveshaft out than propshaft, so plan is yo change inner CV on driveshaft, if it fixes it, good if not I'll just use it when I rebuild propshaft.
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Just thought I'll let you know that I went ahead and replaces both, inner and outer CV joints and problem seems to have gone away. No more vibration at higher speeds. I do now notice noisy passenger side joints but nothing as bad as drivers was. I guess he hit killed it off.
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

propshaft and inner cv's are not the same. I had that discussion with a prop repair company the other week. The inner cv's can be used on the prop ends but they are not designed for that application or to handle the rpm so wear out much quicker apparently.
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X