gearbox trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox trouble.

hi lads, hope someone can help here .had a bit toy around yesterday with me mate in his tt[wupped his ***] and when i was changing down from 4th to 2nd i found it would not go into 2nd. now it will go into 2nd, but it is like trying to pull the gearstick through a block of rubber and its the same getting it out of 2nd. .all other gears are ok.any help or info would be much appreciated .
    S2. NICE MIND

I get same issue with first and reverse. Ive been told my gearbox is in good condition.

I guess the only thing you can do to improve these things is oil change, gearbox mounts and bushings?
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

Comment

Ah well, at least you've not shot down another 2nd gear synchro - I have!!! My old box is off for repairs this week, I guess this one will be too when the other one goes back in the car!

I never skip downchanges! However I do have a nasty habit (but I'm getting better) of dropping to 2nd from fairly high speeds (40+) which is killing my synchro rings - this time, I can power up in 2nd, but as soon as I lift off it pops out of gear.

Anyone know of an upgrade for synchros without going to dog rings and special gearsets? I'm still using 5 speed and if the weight difference is enormous for a 6 speed, I'm staying with the quintet!

__MDC__
      Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Mine went like that exactly the same but believe it or not it got better after about a month and has been fine ever since so fingers crossed!!
        '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

I didn't quite have the same problem, but the shift was slow, as if there was more friction than there should be.

I thought I should change the oil, did so and found out that the gearbox was short about a litre of oil not good ! The difference after changing the fluid was plainly night and day and it also got rid of the 'waaarp, waaarp' noise as I went through 2.5k to 3.5k Rpm in 6th. Should have done it sooner, but sadly, real life always comes first

Diff oil is next.... but I'll save that for when I'm installing the Torsen... coming soon
          1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
          1987 CQ85RS
          1994 S2 Avant- Gone
          1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
          Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
          Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

I dont get any probs with synchros, i change into 2nd form high speeds, 60mph or so, all the time.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure mine was ok when I got it - just the age of the box I guess.

So... if the boxes I've got get a proper rebuild, I guess I'll be ok again for more dental surgery (tooth removal!!)

__MDC__
              Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

i am thinking of putting a quick-shifter in,would this make any difference?
                S2. NICE MIND

Comment

To what? Gearbox life, no. Making the shift shorter/quicker, yes
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                  Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

coming to work tonight and my gearbox seems to have righted its self,dont know why or how, but its back to normal. still going to go ahead with the shortshifter because of all the good reports about them.
                    S2. NICE MIND

Comment

Working...
                    X