Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Mounts

Hi Peeps,

Ive got some rear diff mounts to replace. 2 stock and 1 uprated one.

Is this something that can be done while the car is jacked up? or will a ramp be needed?

also can this be done with standard tools or will I need something special?

Im not technical but when the car was up on the ramp it looked like a simple job.
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

It's possible to do it on a jack. Make sure you have some extra safety pegs underneath it. You need some 17 and a 13 spanners, and a hexnut tool. To screw of the rear diff mount housing.

HTH
    RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
    RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
    High Octane website

Comment

excellent.. u have all the above and will borrow some axel stands

I can see the 2 mounts on either side.. but where is the 3rd mount on the back diff?
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

Yes, 2 mounts on the side, and one higher up the rear of the diff.

Good luck with it!
        RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
        RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
        Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
        High Octane website

Comment

Thanx I need all the luck I can get

I got the pwoerflex rear diff bush kit, whats the grease for? Just smother it with grease before fitting?
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Has anyone experienced any difficulties changing rear diff mounts at all? Would like to be prepared for the job
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

Good luck, this job was a b*tch at the garage meet for MartinJS, Mark Halligan, Spink and myself on my car. The bolt had corroded to the sleeve in the mount and wouldn't come out.

Had to use an Air Chisel to get it out!

Comment

crap that does'nt sound good at all.
                ABY Coupe
                sigpic

Comment

Had the same problem myself, i ended up unbolting the mount from the diff and then dropping the subframe complete to gain better access. Bolt eventually came out with a little help of the hammer.

Mark.

Originally posted by Jamo
                  Good luck, this job was a b*tch at the garage meet for MartinJS, Mark Halligan, Spink and myself on my car. The bolt had corroded to the sleeve in the mount and wouldn't come out.
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

How about the 3rd mount? The one i received looks like a normal arm bush with a metal rod. Can this be swapped out without issues or similar problems apply? ( bare in mind i have no tools apart from the normal spanners hammer n toothpick)

Im begginign to think I should take it to a garage?
                    ABY Coupe
                    sigpic

Comment

Erm mate do you mean the all diff mounts???

Sh*t you need to take the rear diff of the car to change the other two!!

Watched MartinJS struggle with this at the garage meet, the prop shaft would come out.

I wouldn't attempt this on your own, going to need a few of you.

Comment

******... better get a friend or two to help out in that case

there are two mounts on either side of the diff, I thought I could change 1 at a time letting the diff hang off the mount as i do it?

the third mount ive not seen so cant comment.
                        ABY Coupe
                        sigpic

Comment

You will be able to change the side mounts if you have a jack under the diff supporting it, Check that the bolt going through the rear mount moves freely when you undo it first, as this will be the main problem if its stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
                            You will be able to change the side mounts if you have a jack under the diff supporting it, Check that the bolt going through the rear mount moves freely when you undo it first, as this will be the main problem if its stuck.
                            How about the 3rd mount? do I have to remove the diff for that sucker?
                            ABY Coupe
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
                              How about the 3rd mount? do I have to remove the diff for that sucker?
                              No, if you remove the two rear subframe bolts so you can lower the subframe a couple of inches you should be ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X