Tyre sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre sizes

I'm finally getting round to parting with some cash and have decided the standard rims have to go. I'm thinking of getting some 17'' either RS4,BBS or mania vortex wheels. I am thinkin of gettin them without tyres cause my mate has got a new set of continentals i can have for cheap, only problem is that there 205/50/17 and not 205/45/17. Will this make alot of difference?

Cheers, Chris
    Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Just had a look on www.tirerack.com and selected Bridgestone SO-3 for size comparisons. 205/50R17 does 830 revs per mile. A stock 205/55R16 is 837 revs per mile which is under 1% difference. I have 235/40R18 which is 823 revs per mile. Mine are 2% larger than stock but also fine with the correct offsets. The speedo is now more accurate at higher speeds (less than 1% difference as measured on GPS).

Post some piccies once your done. Be nice to see your new wheels.
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Got me wheels on last weekend, looks alot better and more moden. Only problem is it just needs lowering a bit so it sits nicely on the rims. Have to have a look round for some kits. I'll get some pics on soon.

Chris
      Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
        Just had a look on www.tirerack.com and selected Bridgestone SO-3 for size comparisons. 205/50R17 does 830 revs per mile. A stock 205/55R16 is 837 revs per mile which is under 1% difference. I have 235/40R18 which is 823 revs per mile. Mine are 2% larger than stock but also fine with the correct offsets. The speedo is now more accurate at higher speeds (less than 1% difference as measured on GPS).

Post some piccies once your done. Be nice to see your new wheels.
        Lee,

I am seriously looking at some 8,5x18" wheels with 37 ET. 235x40x18 is just the size I want to run. 2 Questions:

- Do you have any rubbing?
        - What's the ET on your wheels?

Comment

I have had 18" ET37 wheels with yoko 225 tyres on and there was a couple of mm gap to the steering arm - if that. But I have 19" ET40 on the front with toyo 235 tyres and now there is a 4-5mm gap - what I am trying to say is you have to be careful - especially going that wide at the front as I'm not sure how accurate different manufacturers offsets actually are and different manufcturers tyres are differnet sizes.!
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
            Lee,

I am seriously looking at some 8,5x18" wheels with 37 ET. 235x40x18 is just the size I want to run. 2 Questions:

- Do you have any rubbing?
            - What's the ET on your wheels?
            Below is an extract from another post. I have an Avant which has more restrictions at the rear than the Coupe with regards to clearance. I hardly ever get touching. I use Bridgestone S0-2s (very good dry, average in wet)on the front and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 on the rear (soft sidewalls, weak but good in the wet). I will try Yoko AVS next as the RS4 boys like them.

You can reduce your ET with the use of spacers but this may introduce other issues which don't bother me as I am very happy with my steering behaviour and I don't care if wheel bearings last 50,000 miles instead of 150,000 miles!!

HTH, Lee

Originally posted by Lee
            I use 8" with 235/40R18. This needed an ET of 33 or 34 (not 35!!) on the back to avoid the suspension with a Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyre.

Unless you go for the Euro look and try undersize tyres on the 8.5" rim I don't think they'll fit. Check out the picture of my rears in the Audi Driver International post. That is with ET32 effectively and clears the rear suspension by about 2mm. I get touching front and rear on a spirited drive at times expecially when it is more than me and 1 passenger. Nothing touches the body, just the arch liners and I have stock [old] springs and shocks with RS2 ARBs. I have ET29 on the front. My car cannot be lowered unless I severely reduce suspension travel with my current tyres

Designun Limited....

Comment

I will still stick to 235/40R18 tyres as I can easily live with the negligible downsides and they are fine, even on trackdays. Things will improve no end when stiffer shocks are installed as this will reduce suspension travel, and increase roll stiffness further. I cannot lower the car by the standard 30ish mm. I will try the stiffer shocks and decide whether or not to cut the springs to reduce ride height slightly. My friend has a proper camera mount with suction pads so I might use a video camera to visualise what is happening during suspension travel on a racetrack thrash as this is where my tyres rubbed the most (except when it had 5 fatboys in it!!!). Maybe 10 or 15 mm will be possible on my Avant with big tyres and stiffer shocks.

However, I will try the new Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tyres when they come here in a few months. I was considering buying these and importing them from the USA but they have now achieved E marking so can finally be sold in Europe. The second tre size to hit the European market is 225/40R18 and we should get it in a few months. The tyre looks superb and has had good reviews so I will give it a whirl.

Attached Files

Designun Limited....

Comment

Lee, Doug - That was good input and it settled it for me.

I will go with 225's on a 7x17 or 235's on 7,5x17. Something like that.

Times like this, I am really thankful for this list.

Comment

235/45R17 on a 17" should not screw up your speedo too much either. But it will be about the same size as 235/40R18. Check out tirerack for size comparisons and you can select what tyre is appropriate from their extensive database. Shout if you need help on that site.

HTH, Lee
                  Last edited by Lee; 13 January 2004, 21:45.

Designun Limited....

Comment

This is great for comparing tyre sizes

http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuse...verter.welcome

The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

yeah i was thinking of going with 235/45/17 but was not sure on if a 7.5 in rim would fit and what offset should be used.

Comment

A 235 tire would fit comfortably on a 7.5J rim. If you look at the tech specs of the Toyo T1-S on www.toyo.com, they recommend rim sizes per tire size. In the case of 235/45/17 8.0 is ideal but 7.5 is also acceptable.

I was actually wondering if it is not possible to get 245's on a 7.5J rim. The logic is that my S6 has 255's on a 8J as standard, then 245 (10mm smaller) should fit on a 7.5J (12.7mm smaller). Has anybody tried 245's on 7.5J?
                        1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                        2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                        2006 Misano Red RS4
                        2004 VW Touareg V8
                        2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                        2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

puppetman, on offsets - the standard offset on a S2 with 7.5J wheels is 37mm. I am trying 10mm spacersat the moment to see if an offset 30 mm will work, and I have had no problems. You can therefore comfortably use offset of between 27mm and 37mm on a 7.5J. I am even sure 25mm will work. BTW 27 mm looks quite good compared to the normal 37mm and handles better!
                          1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                          2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                          2006 Misano Red RS4
                          2004 VW Touareg V8
                          2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                          2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

just need to be careful of bearing wear. Also i have 8 or 8.5 width wheels and 255's fouled so had to go for smaller tyres.

Greg
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                            X