what size tyres!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size tyres!!!

hi i have a set of 9 inch rims and was wondering what would be the widest tyres i could safely fit to them??also recomendations for best tyres aswell!They currently are 255 but was looking to go wider
    cheers
    dean
    dean

nothelle n300,alcon brakes,sachs suspension kit,lots still to be done!

any ideas!HAve done some research and does not look like many people fit wider than 235 tyres although i have also been told that the widest tyres you could fit to a 9" rim would be 285 but this is far to wide!Has anyone fitted any tyres wider than 235 to a coupe?
    dean
    dean

Comment

When MTM did their RSR they rolled the arches and put 265/35/17 Michelin MXX3 tyres on 10J rims on the front and 235/45/17 on 8.5 J rims on the rear.
      Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
      S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by rotoryboy
        When MTM did their RSR they rolled the arches and put 265/35/17 Michelin MXX3 tyres on 10J rims on the front and 235/45/17 on 8.5 J rims on the rear.
        Larger stuff on the front than on the rear ?
        Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

i know that 255/40 tyres were fitted to the rear but their was no room left under the arches,although it has been lowered,to stay safe 235 would be as wide as you could go then with out arch work?
          dean
          dean

Comment

Originally posted by rotoryboy
            The reason MTM fitted wider tyres on the front wheels was to try to cure the understeer.
            SS

Comment

dont think you could fit any wider than 235 to the front without arch work and spacers as they will rub the linings oh and eat up the headlight washer bottle!
              dean

Comment

I'm pretty sure FatAudi80 runs 245's on his BBS alloys
                Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

i suppose it depends on what suspension the car has got and the offset of the wheels.Wanted to try and fit some really wide tyres on the rear but dont think their is enough room for anything wider than 255 without lots of work!thanks for your help though guys!
                  dean
                  dean

Comment

Lee ran 255's on the front and 235's on the rear of his avant

Comment

I'd like to find out what offsets he was running, the rears did rub from time to time though.
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

i run 225 40 18s with offset of 20 i have standard suspension with this i have had to take out one screw in the arch and now dose not rub . so if you can do the sums between the offset of mine and yours you mayget your anwser

the other thing to do is find a place that does part worn tyres and give it a go as there so much cheaper got some for mine £35 each
                        hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                          I'd like to find out what offsets he was running, the rears did rub from time to time though.
                          ET29 front and ET35 rear, its in his profile. I recall him having to use a 1 or 2mm spacer though.

Comment

As per PM

245/40/17 on 8" rims which IIRC are ET37 BBS RC's.... No rubbing, touching or heavy petting...

Cheers,

Steve
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                            X