Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre sizes to adjust speedo!!

Hi guys.

What tyre size is needed to get the speedo a bit more accurate??

I am running 225/40/18's at the moment and the speedo is about 7mph off at 70mph (according to the trip and sat nav)

Increasing the rolling road will make the speedo more accurate so how much off a difference would 225/50/18's make or 235/45/18's.

Anyone got any idea.

Cheers

Aaron
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Also anyone know anywhere or the best place to get my wheels checked for shape. I seem to have wheel either off balance or out of shape. They don't look out of shape but I am having one hull of a problem sorting this out.

cheers
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Anyone??
      Dark Grey Avant
      RS2 FARB
      Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

I think all speedos are generally anything up to 10% off - I like your thinking of increasing the rolling diameter of the tyres a touch- I'm not sure of the maths though! Also, tyres from different manufacturers are not necessarily the same actual size even if they have the same size indications on them, and of course as your tyres wear they become smaller...

Any reputable tyre shop should be able tell you if you've got any pothole damage to the rim - it's very common in the UK unfortunately. This can be balanced out to some extent but it depends on how deformed the wheels have become.
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

personally i quite like the safety margin you get with a over optimistic speedo, its like setting your alarm clock fast:-) if you want a true reading get gps i say.
          Ragusa Coupe gone!
          sigpic
          VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
          VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
          vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

I'm confused is it reading too slow or too fast? The change from 205/60/15 to 225/40/18 should be 1.6%, 70mph on the dial is 68.8mph road speed.

Have you fitted an S2 speedo? I noticed a change when i did which i think made it read slower again, never got to the bottom of that. Either that or the rev counter changed which i dont think, 3000rpms in each gear gave a different speed by 2-3mph.
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

My speedo is 5mph out, e.g sitting at 80, the trip computer will show 75mph as does my Road Angel..
              Missing her lots!

Comment

I would't worry and just live with it. It is possible to have the speedo calibrated, a la police cars, but not worth the effort.

Cheers,

Steve.
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

try this link regarding sizing.

HTH

David

Comment

see this thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14910
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                    X