Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 tire pressure on 225/45/17

Hi
    I have original Cup2 wheels on my RS2, since I cant find 245/40/17 tires for those wheels, I put 225/45/17 as advised in forum... done this some weeks after bought the RS2, almost 2 years since then.

I use to put 2.7 bar (39psi+/-) on tires as stated on information that is the fuel door (this is for normal load, full load car will need 3.0 bar!!). I feel 2.7bar (39psi+/-) to hard for the ride... could this pressure(s) be refering for the original 245/40/17 ones?

Will be safe to put less pressure on this 225/45/17 ? (bridgstone S03) ; RS2 is a bit heavy, is that the reason for so high pressures?
    What pressures for normal road use?
    What pressures for normal an eventual dry tray day use?

thanx guys

PS - I tryed some search on forum but only get more doubts...

About 37-38psi should be fine I have 225 45 17's on my car fitted to 8.5" wheels and I am running 37psi all round
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Agree with Greg. I had SO3 on my RS2 @36-38psi. Ride was a little harsh and is now much better with Pirelli Nero.
      If you are still getting a harsh ride look at suspension bushes !
      Alastair
      RS2

Comment

Sorry to hi jack a little. how do the nero's compare for grip, wear and handling in the dry and wet?
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by alg
          (...)you are still getting a harsh ride look at suspension bushes !
          thats one issue that pisses me off:

for long time I notice that my RS2, when passing on irregular tarmac with small longitudinal bumps, I must hold the whell drive good, because it turns itself alone! I thought it was worn brushes, so I when to a service mechanic and asked to change all rubber brushes and stuff and those 2 on top front suspension... and all from original Audi please.
          Came there a day after and was told it only needed to change 2 top mounts and 2 other brushes, done. All rest was in very good condition.
          On my last MOT I asked the insector to check realy well the brushe, because the behavior persists, same answer, All ok!

dont have a clue why this behavior, could it be the power a faulty stearing doing that? Some times on bumps I have a red ( ! ) warning, my hidraulic fluid level is ok. The bomb brake must be chaged... but I think this does not interfer on stearing, right?
          Last edited by RS2.pt; 30 May 2006, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
            I have 225 45 17's on my car...
            Snap on the tyre size. 36 - 37 psi all round on mine. At 34 psi tramlining gets worse and the steering is noticeably heavier.

Ck.
            Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
              Sorry to hi jack a little. how do the nero's compare for grip, wear and handling in the dry and wet?
              Like alg, I also run Pirelli Nero's on my RS2, They produce a very compliant ride with low road noise which suits the RS2. Grip wise the Pirelli's have lots in either dry or wet conditions and what I like about them when you get to extremes is that they let go gracefully rather than sudden like some other performance tyres. They seem particularly resistant to aqua planing in heavy rain conditions and handle well in the wet. Wear wise I've done about 6K miles in mine and they have 6mm of tread depth all around. However most of my miles are motorway,fast A road miles. I've compared them to other tyres such as Michelin PS2, Michelin PS1, Michelin Pilot Exalto, Continental Contisport 1 and 2 and Bridgestone Potenza RE040 and I'd rate them as a better all round tyre than any of these. The Michelin PS2 is the closest competitor but I found whilst it did have a better level of adhesion in the dry it did'nt have such a user friendly response at the limit and it also produced a much harder ride. The Michelin Pilot Exalto is also a good tyre with similar levels of grip but a much more compliant ride.

Comment

Thanks for the comparison. Think I will try those pirrellis out next time around.
                Greg

Comment

Working...
                X