Front hub noise but not wheel bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front hub noise but not wheel bearing

Hi as if I don't have enough problems with my s2, now my urs6 has developed a rumble on the front near side wheel. The front wheel bearings where replaced 5000 ml ago, so I dont think its that. the noise is a little inconsistant but always there and seems to come from the hub,I have tried the car on full lock but there is no sound at low speed. any one got any ideas
    cheers Lou

a bad engine mount or tranny mount perhaps?? i HAVE seen new bearings gone bad after a short time too.and thats for the REALLY bad grease in the org bearing. i have opend the bearing(carefully) take the dustcover off,and filled it with MOBIL xhp222 grease.... ITS blue colored.and set the dustcovers back again.the BEST grease ever.and cheap.when the bearing are noisy,there arent NO slack in,only "pitting" in the parts inside,and then rumbling in the car

Comment

Thanks for that caterpiller, very usefull information
      Many thanks. Lou.

Comment

I too had this problem after a wheel bearing change, but it only took a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles for the noise to appear.

In my case I eventually found that the M16 bolts that go through the wheel bearing that hold everything together had come loose, to the point where i was getting at least 10mm play on one of the wheels (it got so bad that when turning the disk was actually touching the caliper at times!!). When going in a straight line it sounded like a low groaning noise (not disimilar to a bad wheel bearing), that was intermitant and showed it self on the motorway inparticular, the pitch would change as a steered left or right and would disapear when i applied the brakes.

I'm not sure but I imagine the loose bolt allows a bit of lateral movement in the brake disk which then rubs on the brake pads and makes the noise. Much like a worn bearing.

I can only guess that the garage who changed the bearings did not tighten the bolt to the correct torque setting ie 200Nm +90° (1/4 turn) and they had come loose.

I had the bolts tightened up to the correct spec but yesterday the o/s wheel has started to make a groaning noise again, probably because the bolts "stretch" with the final 1/4 turn and are not designed to be reused - even if they didn't get tightened up to the full amount the first time.

I will be ordering some new bolts tomorrow and hope that sorts it out.

HTH Angus
        Last edited by AAH!; 9 July 2006, 17:11.
        formally RS2 +

Comment

Thanks Angus, i'll get the items checked out.

Comment

Working...
          X