Change to studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change to studs

I donno about you, but the Audi system of using wheel bolts strikes me as a PITA. How many time have you had to screw around trying to get the holes aligned so that you could put the wheel bolt in? And screw the little plastic alignment stud.

Some cars like Porsche's, have wheel studs. You just hang the wheel back on the stud and screw a nut onto the stud.

I found a place that sells studs for Audi's. Thought I woud share it.

http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/product/...nversions.html

I did this. Excellent mod. Bought my bits from Demon Tweaks and www.trackstore.co.uk

Here is a pic to give the idea.
    Attached Files
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Dammit Lee - there was me thinking I would be first to do this

I totally agree that the standard wheel bolt affair is farcical to say the least. How many times have we swear the place down when trying to balance the wheel on the lip of the hub whilst trying to get the first bolt to start by hand only to find that the disc has moved to make it impossible....

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

@Lee - can you please advise which stud conversion kit you went for and how long it took for fitting at each corner ?

Actually just saw the ECS pics which seem to show these studs simply thread-lock in place with a hefty allen-key. That couldn't be easier... ECS reckons M14x1.5 studs for our cars. That smells right - can you confirm and advise a suitable length - which can be wheel dependent of course...

Cheers,

Paul
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

This mod also helps when you have brakes like mine. My calipers are so close to the inside of my 18's that it helps location and means I don't **** the rim into the calipers each time. I only have about 2mm clearance between my AP calipers and my lower-profile lead balancing weights (plus my wheels are really heavy). I did this mod over a year ago I think. It's well worth doing. The chaps at DT got the seating wrong on the nuts so I bought conversion washers to go from the tapered nuts and the radius seat in the OZ wheel. THe chap at DT was adamant they were tapered seat wheels only from OZ. I ended up getting McGuard locking nuts from a scooby too and now have a second set of lockers to fit (except they are wrong too..I specified M14x1.5 and got M12x1.5, Doh! What is wrong with people?). Can't remember how long my studs were but they had to be extra length because of my spacers and the thick sections on the OZ. Get you measurements right becasue my studs are not fully threaded and have a small plain shank region about 10mm from one end. My nuts are also blind too so the length is critical. www.trackstore.co.uk is my number one choice for these items...very good to deal with.

Lee

Designun Limited....

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
            @Lee - can you please advise which stud conversion kit you went for and how long it took for fitting at each corner ?

Actually just saw the ECS pics which seem to show these studs simply thread-lock in place with a hefty allen-key. That couldn't be easier... ECS reckons M14x1.5 studs for our cars. That smells right - can you confirm and advise a suitable length - which can be wheel dependent of course...

Cheers,

Paul
            You replied while I was posting. The allen key broached head sounds like a good idea but mine didn't have this. I cleaned the threads in the hub thoroughly and they glided in nicely. I am still to put some loctite on so every time I take a wheel off I just check the studs are properly engaged. Fitting time was less than 1 hour all in and that included finding the jack, tools, cleaning threads, etc. It also included the time for doing a simple fit check to ensure the engagements were correct.

Sorry, can't remember the length but it is easy to check by taking a wheel off. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the disk bell between the hub and the alloy as it adds about 8 mm or so to the required thickness. As you quite rightly point out, it is highly wheel dependant and it was the fact that I couldn't use the stock bolts (without spacers) with my OZs.

Not sure I am helping here as I am being vague!! It was a long time ago! Get a new DT 2004 motorsport catalogue free with this weeks autosport mag. They have the details for studs in there but trackstore may be cheaper. DT cat certainly shows you where the measurements are referenced on tapered and radius bolts/nuts since they don't have a flat reference seat!
            Definately M14x1.5 required though. Radius seat nuts on all Audi wheels. Afermarkets need checking. Do not use tapered nuts in radius seats and vice versa...this is bad karma, man!

Lee
            Last edited by Lee; 8 January 2004, 22:18.

Designun Limited....

Comment

OK - just ordered a selection of M14x1.5 studs and nuts to see what works best with Avus rim.

Paul
              Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                OK - just ordered a selection of M14x1.5 studs and nuts to see what works best with Avus rim.

Paul
                Did you get them from ECS?

Comment

Custom wheel nuts

If you want any custom stainless wheel nuts making contact Steve at GPA Engineering 01625-527062

http://www.gpaengineering.co.uk

He is the only person making them for weird cars such as TVR whoever they are.

He also can rebuild calipers. and make all sorts or things. If you need some engineering done give him a call.

He is a mate but I am not on commision.

He works from home and so will answer out of hours.

He's building a VW betle powered aircraft in his garage. sad......

Comment

Working...
                  X